4589 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP9000 End of Support Life

Don Coats
Occasional Contributor

HP9000 End of Support Life

Hi,
We are currently running an E55 and apparantly it is reaching it's end of support life from HP. I would like to get another machine that is supported by HP - does anyone know where there is a list that details the end of support life for different HP9000 machines?
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Philip Chan_1
Respected Contributor

I don't have the end-of-support statement with me but our HP rep told us (several years ago thou) that a general rule of thumb is that an HP9000 server would have a support life of 5 years from its releasing date.
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

HI,

have a look on this

http://www.arrownacp.com/sbm/i-Track/templates/doc/HPUXSystemSupportEndoflife.xls

Sunil

*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Hardware end of life is tracked by product number, not by class machine.

For the E55, product number A3194AW the End of Support Date is 5/31/2003 and the machine Obsolete Date is 2/1/1998.

If you have a different product number, post it here and I will look it up for you.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Don Coats
Occasional Contributor

Cheryl,
Yes that is the correct model for the E55 and I was aware of the EOSL date that you mentioned. What I was hoping for was a current listing from HP of EOSL so I could make a decision as to what machine to replace the E55 with. The list mentioned by another user is is date June 2001 and HP must change the EOSL dates because the E-Class server on that list was to have an EOSL of January 2003. I contacted the arthor of that report, Jon Davis for an update but the link that he provided needed to use an HP employee portal - which I don't have access to.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The date I've been told on the E55 is May 30, 2004

Josh
What are the chances...
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

An E55 is likely 100MHz 32-bit uniprocessor or slower. It is time to retire it regardless of support life ending. Compare the current cost of support to a Pentium system running LINUX.
Mom 6
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Don,
The document provided on that link is not only out of date, but if you notice, it says that it's an HP Internal only document.

Obviously someone that Jon helped took the liberty of posting a document that was not supposed to be released.

The reason such a document is not currently released is the overall size, dynamic nature and maintenance of such a document. Each class server has several product numbers, all with different dates. We can provide the information on a per request basis but currently there is no master list that is pulled from the database.

If you have specific questions on several models, your local rep would be able to help you easily.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Your best bet would probably be something like an L1000, which wouldn't be too expensive, and would most likely be supported for at least 5 more years.
What are the chances...
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

We have replaced several E series (E35 and E55) with A500's. You can find a decent used A500 for around $2,500 (US $$). If you want to go new, I would look at the rp2405 machines (equivalent to an A500). Those would give you plenty of horsepower compared to an E55.