5459 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP9000 Model 715

andybarrett1
Advisor

HP9000 Model 715

Hi All

Looking to get standard PS2 Keyboard and mouse working on our servers HP9000 / 715 

We have the right adaptor box  HIL to HP9000 and two marked up P2 ports for Key and Mouse 

But server will not see them ?? OS is HP-UX 9.

Help Please 

Andy

8 REPLIES 8
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Not sure what its doing but here are some things:

HP-UX workstation are finicky with keyboards.. Its best to use the most basic versions, HP brand preferably. The recommended PS2 keyboard for the 715/100 715/80 715/64 are the C3757-60201. there is a link to ebay below. On the mouse, you can use any basic 2 or 3 button mouse but no scrolling wheel.. HP-UX 9.05 has no idea what that is and will freak it out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203139432587

If you have everything plugged in correctly and you are not getting any video display after your boot process

Turn the computer off. Make sure the video, keyboard, & mouse cables are all connected. Turn it on, once you get a beep or see anything (flash or rectangle) on the screen hit the tab key for about a minute or until you get video. There are three frequency settings so cycle through them by hitting the tab key until you get a display. Basically, when you turn it on and the light on the keyboard lights up, thats when you start hitting the TAB key. You don't have to press it fast, just once every half second.

If this does not help, let me know what its doing and I can let you know what to do... More info is needed though.

Thanks
Jesse
Cypress Technology Inc
Re-sellers of older HP

andybarrett1
Advisor

Hi Jesse

The servers are ABB configured for a SCADA system... But the supplied keyboards are getting tired etc.

We figured as the box has PS2 Connections we could use any standard PS2  keyboard / mouse.

So we "have" to use HP Keyboards ?

The HP9000 Should see any mouse ?

At moment no mouse movment on screen 

Thank you for reply 

Andy

Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

I don't know what a SCADA system is but if you are using it as an Advant Station with an PU512 or PU513 RTA card, you need to use HP-UX 10.20 OS.

you could always just snip the part number off the supplied keyboards and just search for them. Some other keyboard and mice work and some dont, we have been doing these boxes for 25 years and there is no pattern that we have found that works. Its always trial and error to see if other than HP (and different versions of HP) keyboard and mice work. Again on the mouse, its trial and error... If I were you, I would just get the A2839B, I kinked an ebay below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143622827757

Also, ABB sometimes modifies HP stuff so they might have taken an HP input device and tweaked it to do what they want it to do.

andybarrett1
Advisor

Ok Thank you 

Need to delve a little deeper maybe !

Andy

andybarrett1
Advisor

Hi 

Thank your advice ....

We are using the C3757-60201 Keyboard now as your sugestion 

That did work at Boot . We could choose the screen and select with enter on this keyboard 

Although once system up and running we loose the keyboard ?

Is there a setting/ script we ca check to see if system is polling the PS2 Keyboard 

HIL Keyboard works fine ???

Thank You again 

Andy

andybarrett1
Advisor

Thank your advice ....

We are using the C3757-60201 Keyboard now as your sugestion 

That did work at Boot . We could choose the screen and select with enter on this keyboard 

Although once system up and running we loose the keyboard ?

Is there a setting/ script we ca check to see if system is polling the PS2 Keyboard 

HIL Keyboard works fine ???

Thank You again 

Andy

Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

I dont know why it would be doing that... We can trouble shoot and fix thes 715 workstations but we need to have it in-house to do that.

Jesse

andybarrett1
Advisor

Hi Thank you for reading 

We have now found this usefull snippet of info :-

But dont know how to use it ..... Can anyone help

PS2 Info  

I am guessing it needs to go in a startup script ??

Andy