cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP9000 rp7410

Steve Crook_1
Occasional Advisor

HP9000 rp7410

We are using HP11i on this server. This morning we experienced an intermittent network problem. 50% packet loss pinging out and similar pinging in. Nothing in logs. Checked lanadmin, all appeared fine. Reboot solved problem. Any one any ideas why this happened?
4 REPLIES 4
Keith Bevan_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP9000 rp7410

Steve,

Was the problem localized to the LAN or a WAN ?

Do you use any other associated comms equipment like routers ?

TCP/IP packet loss problems are typically associated with a denial of service due to LAN/WAN swamping from large traffic or demand across the network.

Is the LAN/WAN used for other data traffic, such as E-Mail and internet access. Could someon be running a large download or sending a large E-Mail ?

Keith
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem
Steve Crook_1
Occasional Advisor

Keith,

The probelm was confined to the server, no other Unix servers on the same LAN were affected.

Window servers using the same switch as the rp7410 were fine.

Keith Bevan_1
Trusted Contributor

Do your other servers sit on the sam switch/hub ?
If they do have you tried moving the troublesome server to a different port on this kit and monitor it for a while.

If the problem is localized to one server then it may be a network card issue but you would expect some entry maybe in the /var/adm/syslog.log or /var/adm/messages.

Do you have a GSP on this server, and if you do have you checked the logs ?

You may still need to check its not an issue on the comms equipment that only effects one port.

Keith
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem
Steve Crook_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks

I'll get our network manager to check the switch. I'll let you know the outcome.

Steve