HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753269 Members
4936 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPUX 10.20 B - K-Class 9000 Server SERVICE LIGHT ???

NIGEL WHITE_2
Frequent Advisor

HPUX 10.20 B - K-Class 9000 Server SERVICE LIGHT ???

Hello,

I've been given another OLD system to look after and I have a Service Light bulb YELLOW.

My disks look ok (no lights other than flashing green - Good) and there's no mention of any failures in the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file ????

Even dmesg says things are fine???

Any ideas?

I read somewhere that Service lights can be activated when a log file has a certain entry in it ???

Any Ideas and how can I get a system status report on hardware components i.e. Power Supplies, disks heath checks ??

Thanks in advance,

Nigel
12 REPLIES 12
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HPUX 10.20 B - K-Class 9000 Server SERVICE LIGHT ???

it basically means there is some logs that need your attention to view them. turn your key to service position and at the console, press . you will be getting a CM prompt. type DL command to view the error logs.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Nigel,

I still have an "Owner's Guide" manual and have gone through it but cannot find any reference to a "Service" light. Where is this light located?

Pete

Pete
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Just to prevent misleading hints.

AFAIR there is NO service light on a K-class.

There is NOTHING like a GSP or MP.

Where did you find the light?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Agreed. As Torsten says, there is no GSP/MP on the K class, so recommendations to do b will not do anything for you. We really need to find out exactly where this light is located so we can identify what it is and what it is trying to tell us.

Pete

Pete
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Just for fun - not agreed to Pete.

With the key switch in service position you can review the chassis logs by pressing CTRL B - but that's it more or less.

Sorry, off topic.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

wanna bet it's got a Nike w/ a problem?

I'm betting that their is a Model 20 disk array (would explain his reference to "disk lights" as well.)

if this is the case, the Nike will display a service light for several reasons. This can include a bad battery pack or failed spu.

The front panel should say "HP Disk Array", there will be a "green" power light on the light. Just to the right of that is an amber "service" light, and on the far right is a line power switch. Also check the passwd file for entries like "gridmgr".

If these are present, you've got a Model 20 Nike Disk Array.

To check the status of the array, from root do "su - gridmgr1". It should say "connected". Now enter Ctrl-l (control and lower case L) to start the Presentation Manager. Select Option 1 and hit Enter.

This will show you the status of the various components. Post here if you need more help.

To exit Presentation Manger, at the "Enter Choice:" type "^" and Enter. At Main Menu's Enter Choice prompt, type ~. (tilde followed by period).

Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Nigel,

I good idea is to check all the harware with stm:

#stm

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes

Each and every day is a good day to learn.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

oh yeah, I forgot:

you can also see disk array information under "Disks and File Systems" in SAM. Should list "Model 20 Disk Array LUN" if you've got one. Select that and then "view array status information".

NIGEL WHITE_2
Frequent Advisor

We do have a Disk Array so I guess the Service Light is regarding the Disks (Even worse).

All the Disk Drives look healthy (green).

K-Class on top Disks at the bottom.

The Server is on our remote site, so whats best for remote monitoring in order to find out what the Service light is complaining about?

Last year we had a faulty Disk. We had it replaced and left the Raid array migrate data to it. should we have run a command to clear the Service Light????

Regards
Nigel