New Discussion юеВ

HPUX - Console

SOLVED
Go to solution
clefeitosa
Regular Advisor

HPUX - Console

Hello!

I'm using HPUX 11 and I'm with a problem in the console.

When I put the login and password in the console the prompt don't return anything...

"Leaving Guardian Service Processor Command Interface and entering
Console mode. Type Ctrl-B to reactivate the GSP Command Interface. "

I can't to get in in the CO prompt...

Please, could someone give me a help?

Thanks!
clefeitosa
7 REPLIES 7
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HPUX - Console

Hi,
as you know the console is special, as it allows access to the Guardian Service Processor (GSP).

It sounds to me as if you are trying to log onto the GSP.

Can you try:
ctrl-B
press the return key for the username
press the return key for the password
sl
e
n
q
co

This should return you to the normal UNIX session level. If you now press return a few time, you should get the UNIX login prompt.

If you suspect the GSP to have a username/password set up, log on with those and execute the above commands.

If I have got this all wrong, please detail what you are trying to do and what actually happens.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If the console does not respond at all, the GSP (Guardian Service Processor) might be hung.

Most server models with a GSP have a "GSP Reset" button. It's generally in the rear panel of the server. In L-class/rp54xx servers, the GSP Reset button is located inside the PCI card cage. This button resets the GSP only, and can be used while the server is running.
Be careful - there is also a TOC button, which resets the entire server.

The cause of a hanging GSP is usually a GSP firmware bug: upgrading the GSP firmware will make the problem unlikely to happen again.

If the console responds to Ctrl-B key combination, the operating system of the server might be hung - or the server is simply so busy it cannot update the console immediately.

If you have answered the "login:" and "Password:" prompts and nothing seems to happen, the system is probably walking through the /var/adm/wtmp file trying to find out the time of your last login.

If your system gets a lot of logins (or FTP data transfers), the wtmp file may grow to huge size. Clearing /var/adm/wtmp will make logins fast again, but you'll lose the information of previous login times unless you'll archive the old version.
MK
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

what server model do you have?

In case of an Integrity you can configure the console away from the MP (e.g. VGA), this means you cannot get it via the CO command.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
clefeitosa
Regular Advisor

Guys,

I don't know if I expressed of form doubtful because I didn't undestand somethings that you all wrote.

GSP is ok... I can list all the comands, I can see the Help and so far and so on...

But when I try CO command and next "Enter" don't ask me the Login...

Nothing happens when I try CO... Why???

PS. When I do a restart on the server I can see all the things by console, I can interrupt (10 seconds), only CO commands is stranger

Sorry, I'm new on the Console Commands...
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I ask again: what server model do you have?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

OK, so the GSP is functional, but something is wrong with the OS-level console session.

Can you log in the server in another way (through the network)? If you can, enter command "ps -ft console". You don't need to be root for this.

It should list exactly one process, running command "getty". Anything else means that someone is already logged in using the console and probably has run a command that has left the console in non-responsive state.

You could then try killing all processes having a "TTY" field as "console" in the process listing. Try "kill -HUP" first: it will give the processes a chance to shut down cleanly.

The getty process will be restarted automatically, and it will re-initialize the console state to sane values. It should give you a "console login: " prompt to the
MK
clefeitosa
Regular Advisor

Hello,

Guys, thanks everbody.

I found a solution to this question...
In the file /etc/inittab I changed the value:

cons:12456:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty console console # system console to

cons:123456:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty console console # system console

in which the init 3 wasn't loaded.

Now it's ok!