New Discussion юеВ

HPUX booting problem "alloc_pdc_pages" error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Praveen R
Frequent Advisor

HPUX booting problem "alloc_pdc_pages" error

Hi,

I am getting this error while booting HPUX m/c. "alloc_pdc_pages: reallocating PDC from (0000... to 0...) then it gives message saying " dumping: 90% complete" then it reboots. Also it is displaying Alert level 12 = software failure. Cant even boot to single user mode.

I have tried following things:

Reseated CPU, Memory, add-on cards & HDD
From GSP gave a reset signal RS
Tried booting from installation CD

But no use, problem still persist. pls help

Regards
Praveen R
10 REPLIES 10
Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

Re: HPUX booting problem "alloc_pdc_pages" error

time to call HPCE on site.

did you try to go into PDC table and see the errors recorded.

interrupt the boot process and get to the BCH prompt.

then type "in" this will place you in the PDT area where you can view error counters.
you will need this info to call HP.

good luck, peace
Donny
"Vision, is the art of seeing the invisible"
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Looks like a serious memory (hardware) error.
Call Hp and ask for an enengineer on-site.

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

You have a memory problem, and this needs attending to by HP Hardware Engineer.
Log a call as soon as you can.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

We had this problem on an N class machine. For us, the problem turned out to be some hung tape drives on the Tape San. If you have fiber channel cards in your system, try unplugging these cables before booting. If it comes up normally, then you know its something to do with one of these. For us, merely power cycling all fiber devices in the SAN fixed it.

Chris
Praveen R
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Problem is solved. I did following things.

1.I removed all other hard disk except the one which had OS.
2.Booted through installation CD, this time i got installation menu.
3. Then i inserted back all the disks and rescanned hardware by selecting "rescan" tab in installation menu. Now it showed all the disks.
4.I selected only one hard disk for installation (The one which already had OS). But when i said GO it gave me a warning saying " there is not enough space for Dumping".
5. Then i added one more disk and added more space to "/". This time it did not give me any warning and installation went through.

My view:

1.I think there was not enough space on the hard disk earlier for dumping, as only one hard disk was utilized and also some problem is there in one of the disks.Hence i got error message " dumping: 90% complete" then it reboots" " Alert level 12 = Software failure"
2. The message ""alloc_pdc_pages: reallocating PDC from (0000... to 0...) still continues to come. So this is related to something else (Firmware upgrade? not sure)
Let me know your views!!
Best regards
Praveen R
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Praveen,

The alloc_pdc_pages message is normal, or at least I consider it normal. It's happened on my N since day 1.

Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
david5337_1
Regular Advisor

One problem that is unknow.
Keith Bevan_1
Trusted Contributor

Praveen,

We had similar problem with alloc_pdc_pages hanging the boot process and it turned out to be GSP related.

Cant remember the fix im afraid as it was some time ago, but do remeber it was something to do with the order of precedence when powering off/on server hardware.

Keith
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem
Iain Ashley
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Praveen,
The "alloc_pdc_pages" message is completely normal. The PDC is the "Processor Dependant Code" and is loaded into memory before the Kernal, it actually happens in a fraction of a second. The rest of the time is loading and configuring the Kernel. The problem you have had could have been caused by any number of problems, depending on what the kernel was doing at the time. The dump message you see is a core dump due to an HPMC (kernel panic). The Alert level 12 message is from the GSP logging the chassis codes due to that(you can view the chassis codes by hitting ^B on the console and using the "sl" command). Do you have an A-Class (RP24xx)? If so this problem can be caused by the onboard ultra2-scsi interface not being terminated properly. If it is not connected to any devices it needs to be terminated. This can cause intermittant problems like this. Otherwise it sounds like a corrupt Kernel, but it is surprising that you could not boot from CD. If you have a contract you can get HP to decode the PIM and Chassis codes. If there is faulty Hardware this sould point to the loaction. Faulty software also seems to be ruled out due to the inability to boot from CD.

Just a small note though. If you have a PA8x00 based system (A,L,N,RPxxxx) and you believe that reseating your CPU's may be of benefit, then you should call an HP engineer. The reason for this is that instead of using pins, the CPU Die's are interfaced to the system board with an array of small gold springs. This pad is extremely easily damaged if you lift the CPU, so any existing seating problem is likely to be exaserbated by this. An Engineer has access to replacement interfaces in a special cleaning kit.

Regards
Iain Ashley