108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HSC Expansion on K460 - Path enable??

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Eaton
Frequent Advisor

HSC Expansion on K460 - Path enable??

We have a K460 with the 4 port expansion card. Originally it had only a graphics card in it, and it was working fine. Now we want to add 2 HSC FWD SCSI cards and 2 tach FC cards (removing the grapics card of course). I've installed the first HSC SCSI card, but the server does not recognize it. The PDC IN IO command shows an IO device at path 8 but nothing at 8/0 (card in in slot 0), or any other 8/x address. I found the HSC Expansion Card pdf on the docs website, but it refers you to the "owners guide" to "re-configure and add the new HP-HSC path addresses". The "owners guide" does not appear to address this issue. It shows it, lists the addresses for the various slots, but I find no info on "adding the paths".
Does anyone know where to find this, or better yet, how to do it?
Regards, John
5 REPLIES 5
mits
Respected Contributor

Re: HSC Expansion on K460 - Path enable??

I assume you are trying to install A3644A HSC FWD SCSI card which is not supported on K-class. If it is, it is supported on the T-class. Installation and service document is available on the docs web.

http://docs.cup.hp.com
-> Networking and Communications
-> SCSI Host Bus Adapters
-> HP A2969A/A3644A HP/HSC Fast/Wide Differential SCSI Adapters Installation and Service

It says as below (page 4/55).

About This Book
This book is the installation and service manual for the HP A2969AEIP A3644A HP-HSC
agh-Speed System Gonnect) Fast/Wide Differential SCSI Adapters.

The HP A2969A adapter connects an HP 9000 Series Kxxx computer (using the HP-UX operating system release 10.0 or later) to SCSI devices, and the HP A3644A adapter connects an HP 9000 Series T6xx computer (using the HP-UX operating system release 10.3 or later) to SCSI devices.

==

If your card is A2969A, try to install the FC card instead to see if the system recognizes your FC card. If not, its FC card may not been supported or your HSC expansion card have some problem.
John Eaton
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply.
I am installing the correct cards, a2969a SCSI and A3404A FC.
The question was about enabling the paths as the expansion card installation doc states you need to do, but does only refers you to a doc that does not contain the instructions.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

have you changed the console path back to the serial console port?
if its still set to graphics at path 8/x then it could be getting confused.
change this at pdc
pa con

andy
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

you could also check the pdc firmware level is upto date

latest version here 41.33

http://www8.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CMHK4133&context=firmware:cpu

Andy
John Eaton
Frequent Advisor

Andy hit it right. I thought I had read the the console will automatically change back to the serial port, if a device is detected there. It did seem to be doing that, as I've been using the serial console since I started this effort. The path had not changed though.
Setting the console path to the default now allows the cards to be recognized.
So much for 'enabling the paths' as the docs said to do...
Thanks to all that responded.