HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748183 Members
3471 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Hardware power problem with HP 9000

Stephen Sharkey

Hardware power problem with HP 9000

Can anyone give me any pointers towards the problem I have with an HP 9000 N class with an AutoRaid disk system attached.

At some point the machine hung, and since, all I have on the terminal screen is an Alert Level 14 - Fatal power or environmental problem prevents operation.

I have checked both power supplies on the rack and both seem to be working (although I'm not 100% convinced) and I have changed the main power supply inputs the server uses, again to no avail.

Could anyone give me any pointers to try and isolate the problem? I appreciate this is a difficult issue to advise on given the nature of problem, but my company, in their wisdom, took this bit of kit out of their maintenance contract!!

The whole Alert I get on screen is as follows..

Alert Level 14 - Fatal power or environmental problem prevents operation.

Reason for Alert:
Source : 4 = power
SourceDetail : 4 = High Voltage DC Power Source
Problem Detail : E = power overload

Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Hardware power problem with HP 9000

Hi Stephen,

This cud be because of the power requirements for the cabinet exceeds the capabilities of the available Bulk Power Supplies. The PM3 section of the Utilities Subsystems keeps a tally of the power requirements for all installed entities in a cabinet. The power available from the Bulk Power Supplies does not meet the requirements of the installed entities, according to the Cabinet Power Tally.

Probable Cause / Recommended Action:

Cause:1
One or more Bulk Power Supplies are missing or in fault condition at Cabinet Power Up.
Action:
Contact your HP support representative to check for faulty Bulk Power Supplies Add Bulk Power Supplies, if under populated.

Cause:2
Too many entities installed in the cabinet for the Power Available.
Action:
Remove entities until Power Requirements are met. Add Bulk Power Supplies, if under populated.

Go to the following link refer event ID 1002

http://docs.hp.com/en/diag/ems/dm_chassis.htm

More event descriptions are available in the same document. Wish this help you.

regards,
Syam