5174 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware status on D and K class

Mike_305
Super Advisor

Hardware status on D and K class

Hi,

I am trying to find the H/W status on D and K class servers. When HP is discontinuing to support the H/W on D and K class. I already talk to support center and I can't get any answer. Does anyone have any information?

Thanks,

Mike
If there is problem then don't think as problem, think as opportunity.
9 REPLIES 9
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Mike:

I can't give you a solid answer but I suspect that no decision has been made. HP generally drops support when the market disappears for a
product or when parts become very difficult to obtain. Because both the D and K boxes were sold until very recently, I would say based upon past experience that your have at least 3 years and possibly (and probably) 5 more years.
In practice, the maintenance becomes expensive enough that with the trade-in allowances it begins to make sense to look at a newer box.

In my former company, we had some old Apollo Domain Servers and Workstations that were state of the art CAD boxes in the early to mid '80's. HP bought Apollo and thus took over the maintenance. That hardware was fully supported up thru 1996 and some models for 3 more years eventhough our last box was purchased in the late 80's.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Manju Kampli
Trusted Contributor

Mike,

As I know there are no plans of discontinuance of D-Class but there are plans of discontinuing the K Class . As informed to us by our Account Manager from HP, these systems will be there in market for another 3 years and from there after the systems will be supported on best available options with HP. It means they won't be actively working on any firmware updates / big fixes OR enhancements etc.

Hope this helps,
Manju
Never stop "LEARNING"
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Not sure about the D class, but I was under the impression that the K class was discontinued, i.e. you can't buy it anymore from HP, at least a year or two ago. HP is usually pretty good about supporting their hardware though...usually supporting it at least 5 years after they discontinue the product.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

It may vary depending on the specific model of D or K Class. Are there certain models you're interested in finding this information on?

-denver
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Well here is what information I have found....no guarantees here:
This thread shows matrix for end of support for O/S:
http://www.software.hp.com/HPUX-RDMP/history/slide2.html

This thread show discussion and what some folks say regarding some systems discontinuation:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x1a6e7e990647d4118fee0090279cd0f9,00.html

Did a search on hp "end of support" and the only thread that was definitive was for HP1000 end of support and discontinuation....nothing in particular for these HP9000 systems.

Hope this helps alittle,
Rita
Robert LeBlanc
Advisor

We have just taken delivery of a K580. I was told that it was properly one of the last of the K-Class servers to be sold, since they will no longer be available for purchase from HP after September 30, 2001.
Walter_4
Valued Contributor

The end of support depends on the exact model. For instance the K580 and D390 are scheduled to have support unitl May of 2007. If you need additional information you can contact HP's Customer Advantage Center.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As we say in the Response Center: "What do you mean by support?"

The easy part is hardware...HP will continue to provide repair services and parts for many years after the box is no longer manufactured. So even though many models of K and D series are no longer manufactured, parts and service are certainly available from HP. You can call HP service to see if any of your products are going out of hardware repair support any time soon. You can also search for parts at http://partsurfer.hp.com

Software is trickier. HP marketing (which represents the labs) will state end of support life (such as 10.20 in 2003) which means no further development or fixes will be provided. However, ther Response Center continues to answer questions on unsupported products on a best effort basis--which sometimes means that the fix for a problem in 9.04 is a patch called "Install 11.11".

So are the D and K servers supported? it depends. :-)

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Mike_305
Super Advisor

thanks
If there is problem then don't think as problem, think as opportunity.