108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Heat Pipe , HP ZT-1000, CPU Heatsink Defective

SOLVED
Go to solution
rc_5
Occasional Advisor

Heat Pipe , HP ZT-1000, CPU Heatsink Defective

Well it is officially confirmed here that just such a thing does exist in believe it or not a HP laptop zt-1000. Thanks to Clay Stevenson's article below mine!!

I was having heat problems with my processor. Wondering if the heat pipe from the chip to the radiator was solid I crimped it slightly... then noticed that it was soldered shut at both ends... realizing that it wasn't doing its job any longer I relocated the cooling fan directly on the chip heatsink and everything worked. Puzzled as to how this could possibly work.... a hollow pipe transmitting heat I filed the radiator end open to find the pipe dry but with a mysterious fine screen (capillary action unit) lining the pipe!!! Knowing I had nothing to fill it with but oil for a coolant I did and soldered it shut again... Using burn-in software on the processor it shut down again from heat issues but this time I realized a hidden pinhole leak behind the CPU heatsink copperpad in the heat pipe itself a no seeum but was evident in the fact that there was fresh oil present!! VIOLA!! I have a BAD heatsink!!! I never thought such a thing was possible!!! I assume the small hole allowed the vaporized gas to leak from the heat tube!! a new heat sink is $18 Thanks GANG!!! I would have never have guessed this.

It is a virtual airconditioner with NO moving PARTS!!!!

Chris

Clay Stephenson ├п┬┐┬╝
Aug 19, 2003 23:52:08 GMT 10 pts

Hi,

I didn't bother to look at this thread until now because I thought the subject line was dumb. I don't think he is pulling your leg and I don't think this is condensation either. I suspect what you are seeing is the loss of the working fluid from a heatpipe. The tubes that you see are not solid but rather contain an inner passage. The working fluid evaporates at the heat source and condenses at the heat sink. The liquid returns to the heat sources by taking advantage of capillary action to cling to the inner walls of the heatpipe.

If I recall, the K-box processors had little red caps on the ends of the tubes and there would be no reason at all to cap solid metal rods but if the manufacturer needed to install the working fluid then you would need caps. I haven't tested what is admittedly my theory but I rather strongly suspect that you are seeing heatpipes with leaking working fluid. In that case, the cooling effect is greatly dimished and those K processors are not long for this Earth
2 REPLIES 2
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Heat Pipe , HP ZT-1000, CPU Heatsink Defective

Good for you, Chris. Although I hate to be credited (at least partially) for fixing a PC problem. I try my best to avoid those things.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
rc_5
Occasional Advisor

Re: Heat Pipe , HP ZT-1000, CPU Heatsink Defective

I don't care your still a 10 in my book!!

Thank You