HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753661 Members
5664 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How connect Windows laptop to MP and do firmware upgrade?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ed Lawrence_1
Frequent Advisor

How connect Windows laptop to MP and do firmware upgrade?

For a few months I have shown people in my company how to upgrade firmware on an rp84xx.
I have been telling them to:
a) Download a firmware package from itrc.hp.com to another HP box. (I use a B1000 as an example.
b) At that other HP box, open a Command window and Telnet to the MP.
c) Use the 'fw' command, wich asks for the IP address of the system that has the firmware, and asks for the path to the firmware file.

Recently, some people told me: "We can't do that any more. We need to download the firware to our laptops and do the upgrade from there."

So, I tried downloading the firmware to my Windows XP laptop [placed it in c:\firmware).
The HP firmware package readme file provides directions for downloading the firmware package to a Windows system and unpacking it.

It doesn't say what one needs to connect from
the Windows box to the MP.

So, I Telnet to the rp8400 MP from the Windows box; I use the 'fw' command and I receive an error similar to the following:

"**** Firmware Updating MP 0 ****
Failed to open Ftp socket
FTP connection failed"

Has anyone successfully performed a firmware upgrade using a Windows box? Can you tell me what tools I need to enable this? Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: How connect Windows laptop to MP and do firmware upgrade?

Hi Ed,

You simply need to enable the Windoze anonymous ftp server services on the laptop. That or run a third party ftp server on it.
It's refusing the ftp session.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The MP provides FTP client funcationality through "fw" for downloading the firmware.
So you need to have FTP server running at the other end ( maybe Windows or Unix Host)

You can check of the FTP server is accessible using MP -> CM -> XD -> L
Then restart the MP using
MP -> CM -> XD -> R before continuing the firware download for the FTP server.

Refer this link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=443375&swItem=ux-32393-1&prodNameId=401769&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Ed,

you need to install and configure the internet information service on your laptop (from control panel - add or remove software).

The default ftp root directory is

c:\inetpub\ftproot

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Thought it is recommended to use the Windows IIS, you can also use the third party ftp servers which you can install and run.

i have tried 3com ftp, you can download it from internet.

Regards,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

I've done this many times.

I am assuming that you are running Windows XP.
On your windows box, go to Start -> Control Panel
Open Administrative Tools (switch to classic view first if needed)
Open "Internet Information Services"
Expand the tree on the left, and select "Default FTP Site". Make sure that the Play button at the top is greyed out (this means it is already running) if it is Black, then click it to start the ftp server.

The root of your FTP server will be in C:\Inetpub\ftproot so if you copy the firmware to C:\Inetpub\ftproot\firmware you will specify the directory as /firmware on the rp8400 when you are doing the FW upgrade.

If there is no "Internet Information Services"
Go to Start -> Control Panel
Open "Add/Remove Programs"
Click "Add/Remove Windows Components" (on the sidebar)
click on "Internet Information Services" and click "Details..."
Check the "File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service"
Click "OK"
Click "Next"
You may be prompted for the Windows CD. No reboot was neccessary for me.

Josh

What are the chances...
Ed Lawrence_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello everyone and thank you for great ideas. I was out of the office yesterday, but plan to investigate these ideas today.

Sameer, I looked at the link you provided.
I have a naive question: The rp8400 is not listed as a system for that firmware upgrade.
But, the firmware seems to apply to the 'MP'.
Do you know if that firmware upgrade will work on an rp8400?

If it should not be used with an rp8400, then I will check with my IT department about obtaining IIS.

I have already tried a package called 3CServer that my IT dept. recommended. Still got connection refused.

Thanks again.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Ed,
IIS is an integrated component of windows 2000 & XP, so you should not need to aquire it.

The link Sameer provided SHOULD NOT be used on the rp8400.

Make sure that your files are in the correct directory. what sequence of commands are you using in the FW program?

Thanks
Josh
What are the chances...
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Ed,

I had given the link as reference to FTP MP firmware upgrade procedure as procedure given there is similar for rp8400. I didn't mean to use the firmware out there as it doesn't apply to rp8400 at all.

You can check/verfiy file "rp8400_rp7410_rp7405_SEU_V6_4_ReleaseNotes.pdf " which comes alongwith the firmware patch for update instructions.

the firmware and details link for rp8400 is at
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CKEYMAT0604&context=firmware:cpu
Ed Lawrence_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys,
I got confused by the numbering scheme and thought perhaps my firmware revs were way out of date. I have the PF_CKEYMAT0603.tar file.
Sammer's note indicates there is a 604 file now.
Thanks for keeping me on track.

I tried to activate IIS and sure enough it asked for a CD. I will ask my IT dept. for a CD.
Thanks again.