HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748169 Members
4323 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I reset GSP login/password on N4000-55?

John Moorhead_2
Advisor

How do I reset GSP login/password on N4000-55?

I need to reset the GSP login/passwords on a N4000-55 since we inherited it from a different group and do not know what they are now. I've tried 3 different methods so far:

1) In single-user mode HP-UX, issue command "stty +resetGSP
2) From GSP menu, issue XD and then in the sub-menu issue R.

3) Hold in GSP Reset button on back panel while powering on.

In each case, I do not get the "press P to reset password..." prompt that I've gotten on several different other models. Instead, it resets the GSP but just gets me back to the GSP login prompt, but it does not actually appear to reset to any default vaues (return/return, Admin/Admin etc.).

What is the secret decoder ring to actually wipe out the logins and passwords on this model?
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Sounds like the GSP is badly out of date with firmware, or it is defective. The GSP is a completely separate computer that is always on even when power is turned off on the n4000. It sounds like you can get into the GSP so I would get the latest firmware and try to update it. New firmware will definitely reset the GSP. If that doesn't work, replace the GSP.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
John Moorhead_2
Advisor

I couldn't update the firmware using the ftp method because the LAN console was set to a different subnet (we inherited this server). And to do that, you need Admin rights, so you need the password. Catch-22. After some research, I discovered that you can update the firmware via an OS patch (latest is PHSS_30724 for V 43.43). So I swapped disk drives out from a running system to allow me to get a running OS on it, booted up, swinstalled the patch, rebooted, and I STILL couldn't reset the logins and passwords (but the firmware update itself did work). I finally ended up swapping the GSP card itself with another from a unit we had had some hardware problems with (but not with its GSP). We knew the login and password for that so were able to get in and LC as needed. Problem resolved, but only because we had spare parts.
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

at the gsp prompt, type HE. check what is the current firmware level of this GSP.
John Moorhead_2
Advisor

Yes, that's the first thing I did after swapping out the GSP. Firmware was behind rev, but after installing the OS patch and rebooting, it took care of it. Current version is 43.43.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor