HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753787 Members
7210 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I update identification number on an N-class?

Charles Egbon
Regular Advisor

How do I update identification number on an N-class?

Hi Guys,

I upgaded the amount of processors and memory on my N-Class Server to full capacity and then install HPUX 11.11.
Thereafter, anytime I reboot the machine there is always this alert message that keeps coming, prompting me to type "a" on the keyboard to acknowledge.
Also, I run this command "uname -i" to check the identification number and it gives me the node name (hostname) of the machine.
HOW DO I UPDATE OR CHANGE THE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER ON THE MACHINE?

Thanks.

Charles
11 REPLIES 11
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
What does the box return when you type uname -a?
And whereis uname ?
home/vbe $ whereis uname
uname: /sbin/uname /usr/bin/uname /usr/share/man/man1.Z/uname.1 /usr/share/man/man2.Z/uname.2
home/vbe $ ll /sbin/uname
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 192512 Nov 14 2000 /sbin/uname
home/vbe $ file /sbin/uname
/sbin/uname: PA-RISC1.1 shared executable

This is on a RP5450... running HPUX11.11

All the best
Victor
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

This has to be done by the HP CE.

you cannot change them.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

sounds like the processor switches are not set correctly to the speed of the processors
double check there right and seen properly at pdc level and in the GSP.
Gsp should also identify the machine corectly but wont wont if the processor switches are set wrong
what exactly does the error say?

andy
Andrew Pearce
Frequent Advisor

Charles,

As someone has already stated. The only way to get this updated/corrected is by getting a HP engineer to do it.
Whoever, did the upgrade did not do it correctly as you have lost some information in nvram.

Regards
Andrew
Charles Egbon
Regular Advisor

Well done Guys,

From the suggestion of Rutter, I will check out for the processor switches really I never get to look at it during the upgrade. But meanwhile do anyone know where I can download the service manual for N-Class?

Besides, I find it very difficult to understand while some of us are suggesting that I should contact HP CE?

Cheers.

Charles.
Andrew Pearce
Frequent Advisor

The reason to contact a HP CE is to get them to run a utility to input the correct values into stable storage in nvram.
You need to get the model string to be inputted as well. check using a command

modelstr

You can check the values from PDC/BCH using the SERvice menu and then choosing the ID command.

uname -a gets its information from the nvram. The processors switches on the system board are only for the speed of the processors installed. This is not your problem.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

another thing worth checking is the pdc level, and upgrade if needed. In the earlier versions of pdc there were bugs to do with the model name/cpu speeds not been reported correctly.
The latest version in here

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CPIW4343&context=firmware:cpu

I still think its likely to do with the upgrade. If hp are needed to correct this then the utility they use is called ssconfig.

Also at pdc what does the system identify itself as in inf proc?
should also display the model there before listing the processors installed.

Andy
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Charles,

The correct method to check the unique identification number on an HP-UX system is now:

getconf MACHINE_IDENT

what does this come back with?

Josh
What are the chances...
Charles Egbon
Regular Advisor

Yea Joshua,

I have tried that command and it generate the node name (hostname) of the machine. That was what "umane -i" generated as well.

Thanks.

Charles