HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752781 Members
6788 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How is the performance hp-ux 11i running in hp9000 D370?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sebastian Perez
Frequent Advisor

How is the performance hp-ux 11i running in hp9000 D370?

I have a hp9000 D370 running hp-ux10.20 and we need to jump to 11.11. I would like to know if we need some hardware upgrade to work fine. Or what_
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

The best way to jump to 11i is to do a cold install. I've seen many postings on failed upgrade attempts and of course from personal experience. The best way to go about it is take a couple of good backups, an export of your volume groups and do a cold install. Do a search on the subject, you'll be surprised what you'll find. Be careful of any EISA cards, which are not supported in 11i.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Helen French
Honored Contributor

You don't need to do any hardware upgrade (unless you want to: like memory, NIC,I/O addition). You can install HP-UX 11i 64 bit version (or 32bit) on your server. A cold installation (fresh) will be easy and safe. What you have to do is create a full backup of system, create Ignite recovery tapes, then install new OS and import all your data from disks. Do a search on forums for detailed steps needed for OS upgrade/installation.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Sebastian,

The one thing you should definitely do is upgrade the PDC firmware before attempting install.
Current FW ver for D370 is 42.01 & here's the link:

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.pdb|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CBHK4201&context=firmware:cpu

Rgds,
Jeff

PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Your D370 will run 11.11 just fine but you should upgrade to the latest firmware. The D370 will run either 64-bit or 32-bit HP-UX 11.11 BUT if you choose 64-bit NO EISA cards are supported. You can use EISA cards under 32-bit 11.11.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jim Butler
Valued Contributor

If you are running with a gig ethernet card, make sure you upgrade the firmware on that card. I did an upgrade on one of these D380 - from 10.20 to 11.00 - no problem -
If you are using lvm - do the vgexport - read up on it - its pretty simple - but also write the output from vgcfgbackup to a tape, of floppy -

I normally just prep the volumes with the vgexport, stop all the applications (clearcase, flexlm servers, etc) and upgrade, and then pick up the pieces the next day. (license issues, etc)

For example, you will need to reinstall the hp/ansi C developers bundle, fortran compilers, etc if you have them on the system, and possible do some other things, but I am 2 for 2 on hp upgrades, and they aren't too bad.

Man The Bilge Pumps!