Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add second processor

SOLVED
Go to solution
cninham
Frequent Advisor

How to add second processor

On a 9000 / 800 / L-class server (L2000), is there anything I need to configure in order to add a second processor?

The server is clean -- *no* OS has yet been installed (blank hard drives). I opened the server chassis and installed the second processor in the CPU # 3 slot, as per instructions. When I boot the server (remember -- no OS yet installed), I do *not* see the boot messages/process. I can enter the GSP command prompt. At the GSP, I enter the 'SS' command and get the following result:

GSP Host Name: uninitialized
GSP> ss

SS

System Processor Status:

Monarch Processor: 0

Processor 0 is : Installed and Configured
Processor 1 is : Not Installed
Processor 2 is : Not Installed
Processor 3 is : Not Installed

GSP Host Name: uninitialized
GSP>

Any idea why I dont see the second processor listed?

Thank you,

Cameron
3 REPLIES 3
Iain Ashley
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: How to add second processor

Hi Cameron,
You will need to boot to BCH before the processor will be "seen" by the GSP. Once there at the BCH prompt enter the information menu (IN) and type CPU, this will show you what cpu's are installed. Try this and let me know.

Regards
Iain Ashley
Tobias Hartlieb
Trusted Contributor

Hi cameron,

actually, there is nothing more to be done than just installing 2nd CPU. Try powercycling (removing all power cables). You might also try to put the 2nd CPU onto the slot for the 1st CPU and remove 1st CPU entirely (also adding CPU termiantor back again where 2nd CPU was..). Does it work here? If not, CPU might be bad/broken?

By the way, strictly follow ESD procedure and keep connections clean!

Regards.

Tobias
cninham
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all for your generous help! This issue has been resolved (and closed).

Regards,

Cameron