1753784 Members
7121 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to change from 700/96 terminal to serial RS-232

Harri Huttula_1
Occasional Contributor

How to change from 700/96 terminal to serial RS-232

I'am trying to setup HPUX L1000 server so that i can connect it though serial(RS-232) console with my windows(hyperterminal). 700/96 terminal console works fine but i cannot get any output when i connect with RS-232. Hyperterminal is configured 9600,8,N,1 and tried Hardware,None and Xoff/Xon possibilities with no success. When i interrupt boot sequence with ESC and type,

path console

i get

console path 0/0/4/0.0
0/0/04/0.0 (hex)

GSP> ca

gives

Local Console Serial Port bit rate: 9600
Local Console Serial Port Flow Control: Software
Local Console Serial Port Terminal Type:vt100

In backpanel i have port with cable that has 3 output cables REMOTE,CONSOLE,UPS. I have used CONSOLE output cable.

What do i do wrong/miss?

3 REPLIES 3
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Re: How to change from 700/96 terminal to serial RS-232

Hi,
I don't think you are doing anything wrong or missing anything but you only have to try the different parity,bits,term & flow control so as to make it work.
Try any of these:
8,N,1 flowcontrol= hardware, Term = vt100
7,odd,1 flcontl = '' '' Term = vt100
Try the same above with changing the TERM.

I think you only have to try a lot.

All the Best,

Regs,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

hi,

what works for me is

9600, 8, None ,1 and None on the windows side
and 9600, software,vt100 for the serial card on the server (GSP settings).

try reinstalling the hyperterm. I mean could be some problem with your hyperterm also. Remove it using control panel - add remove programs - windows components...and isntall it again

with best wishes
Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I think when you say RS-232, you are really saying: replace the 700/96 terminal with a PC or laptop running Hyperterminal. When you get no response with a PC running a terminal emulator, the problem is almost always wrong cable. There are two cables for every serial connection: straight-through and crossover. A straight-through cable is ONLY used to connect to a modem, never a printer or terminal. Although the connectors fit (9pin to 9pin), the transmit signal on the PC is being connected to the transmit signal on the computer. It must be swapped with the receive signal. That's what a serial printer cable (also called a crossover or null-modem cable) accomplishes.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin