HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753779 Members
7659 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to determine the amount of disk on a server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sandra Nelson_1
Frequent Advisor

How to determine the amount of disk on a server?

I am a Jr-jr???.in otherwords, not very knowledgeable in much of anything yet. Be that as it may, I am trying to learn more about our hardware and software systems. We have HP-UX 9000, L3000, 11.0 and I would like to know how to determine the amount of disk we have on this server.

Through SAM I see a "Disk & File Systems" that lists hardware, # of Paths, etc but I???m not knowledgeable enough yet to know if this provides me the ???amount??? of disk we have to validate against our service contract. I assume ???amount??? is in regard to total Mbytes, right?

I???ve tried a few other commands such as ioscan ???fnCdisk and even went into the server room to view the disks in the server but its pretty foreign to me. This should be available through CLI, shouldn???t it?

In advance, all help will be appreciated.

Sandra
5 REPLIES 5
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How to determine the amount of disk on a server?

Welcome to the world of Systems Administration. If what you are looking for is just a total of raw disks, not just what you are using, but what is installed you can do a couple of things. The first is cut and paste this command:

ioscan -fnC disk|grep -v disk|awk '{print $2}'|xargs -i diskinfo {}

That will output the following :

SCSI describe of /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0:
vendor: HP
product id: C2247
type: direct access
size: 1025730 Kbytes
bytes per sector: 512
SCSI describe of /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0:
vendor: HP
product id: C2247
type: direct access
size: 1025730 Kbytes
bytes per sector: 512
SCSI describe of /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0:
vendor: TOSHIBA
product id: CD-ROM XM-3401TA
type: CD-ROM
size: 0 Kbytes
bytes per sector: 0
SCSI describe of /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0:
vendor: IBM
etc.....

Then you can just add up the "size" fields. Or practice your script writing and have a script add them up for you.

I would ouput the above results to a file for reference later. To do that just follow the command I gave you with a > filename and that's it.

ioscan -fnC disk|grep -v disk|awk '{print $2}'|xargs -i diskinfo {} > filename

If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

diskinfo -v

vgdisplay -v

or better yet:

/opt/ignite/bin/print_manifest

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

From the sysadmin favourite scripts posting.

#!/usr/bin/sh
function disks
{
for i in `ioscan -fnC disk|grep -v floppy|grep rdsk|awk '{print $2}'`
do
diskinfo -b $i
done
}
x=0
for i in `disks`
do
printf "%5.#2f\n" `echo "$i/(1000*1024)"|bc -l `
x=`expr $x + $i`
done
printf "Total disk space %5.2f GB\n" `echo "$x/(1000*1024)"|bc -l`
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

In addition to the others, if you're going to verify/validate this with our service contract you might need to find out the serial numbers on those disks because apart from the description in the contract there would be a serial number that goes along with it. For this you need to know a little bit of STM.
http://www.docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/otsearch/getfile?id=/hpux/onlinedocs/diag/stm/stt_start.htm&searchterms=stm&queryid=20021118-220617
To find out detail information of a specific disk ..
# cstm
cstm> map
cstm> sel path
cstm> info
cstm> infolog
You should be able to information like the productID, firmware rev, serial number, model and capacity in MB.
Sandra Nelson_1
Frequent Advisor

It took me some time to try all the suggestions but all were great and provided more detail that I knew was available. I had no idea there were so many ways to capture needed info about our servers. This information was (and will be) extremely helpful. To all that helped, THANK YOU!