HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752701 Members
5920 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to determine the size of the server I need?

gotolicong
Occasional Contributor

How to determine the size of the server I need?

what's infomation that I must known to determine the size of the server I need?

How to calculate that my need TPC-C /SPEC value base on my business?
5 REPLIES 5
Oleg Khoroshylov
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

For first part of question.

To start with you need to define:

- which applications you are going to run on server (which OS ? which database ?, etc.)

- how many users you expect

- reservations for future growth (scalability)

- high-availability needs (may be clustering will be needed ?)

That's basic information that needed. Though it's possibe to go in opposite way - to start with question - what is my budget for new server :)

BR,
OK
No RISC, no fun
James Anker
Valued Contributor

Hi,

As Oleg has pointed out it really depends on what you trying to do, are you replacing an existing one and need a % increase or are you starting fresh with a new OS & App?

To give you an idea here are some sizers if your using Win with SQL for example can be seen at:

http://h71019.www7.hp.com/ActiveAnswers/Render/1,1027,5-6-100-225-1,00.htm

Select "see all available sizers"

If you let us know what your doing I'm sure we can point you in the right direction, we just need more info.

Cheers

Jim
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

A few other ideas...
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

A few other ideas...

a) Do you know of any other similar sized organisations who are running similar apps to what you will be ? If so what equipment do they have ??
b) Ask your reseller or support organisation for their best opinion:
c) Ask the software developer what his software needs: Then double or treble his estimate of equipment needs...

Regards

The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Many times the vendor of the application will have recommendations. SAP, Oracle, etc... can help.
If it is a home grown application you will need to due some benchmarking of the application.
BMC had a product called Best/1 which could capture data on a currently running application and give recommendations on hardware upgrades. I'm not sure if it is still available.