108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to reset MP password on rp8400 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

How to reset MP password on rp8400 ?

One of the rp8400s that I currently manage defies all possible password commbinations. We know that it is not Admin/Admin or any capitalization variations of it. It has been deliberately changed in the past. Right now, we can not access the console, physical console that is. When console was plugged to the serial, local console port on the back, all I get is "MP login" prompt.

I have 2 questions : (and to the best of my ability, I looked for answers in ITRC including the forums but could not come up with anything yet)

1) is it possible to bypass this MP login and drop to the unix console login prompt ? (although this is an nPar system, all it is running is a single hpux 11.11 partition, if this makes a difference)

2) and most importantly, how can I reset the password for the admin or Admin user ?

is there something like

stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1

equivalent command out there for MPs ?

I know this is not the right forum to ask this question but servers --> 9000 forum is dead silent and someone who know a bit about rp series machines, seeing this message over there will feel like eternity. Therefore I am posting it here so that some people who know this h/w architecture and hopefully have the answers can see it before it gets moved to its proper forum.

Again, thanks for all your help in advance.
Honored Contributor

Re: How to reset MP password on rp8400 ?

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Thanks Robert. So far so good but this command only works from the console because, you need to press P key on the console within the 5 seconds after issuing the command. My problem is, I am locked out of the console, the physical console I am talking about, no less. How am I going to bypass the MP Prompt and be able to get a login prompt at the console ?

Any takers ?
Solution

Hi Mel,

I know there is a GSP reset button on RP7400s and N-class. I have to verify it on RP8400. I am away from the datacenter now. So, I would ask you to check it for yourself.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Hemanth Gurunath Basrur
Honored Contributor

Hello Mel,

Can you check if the MP RESET button is available on the far left side of the core I/O card?

Note: If the MP RESET button is held for longer than five seconds, it will clear the MP password and reset the LAN, RS-232 (serial port), and modem port parameters to their default values.

Refer to this doc for more info:
http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/A7027-96003/A7027-96003_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/A7027-96003/00/00/22-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/A7027-96003/00/00/22-toc.html&searchterms=MP%7cpassword%7crp8400%7creset&queryid=20040518-212822

As the above document has some info abt resetting the MP on rx7620, this may be of some help.

Regards,
Hemanth