108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to use a lan connection for console on an L2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian Rich_1
Advisor

How to use a lan connection for console on an L2000

I have received a L2000 and would like to use telnet to connect to the system but I do not have a terminal and therefore do not know what the LAN address is. Is there a way to find this out or connect to the system anyway? All help is exteremly welcome.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Steve Valvasori
Advisor

There should be 3 serial connectors (DB9's) pigtail on the back of the server (for UPS, Modem, and Console). If you don't have a terminal to plug into the Console port, you could plug a laptop (or PC) via serial port to this and connect. Most likely it is set for 8-N-1. Just use a terminal program on your computer and connect through the connected port (say COM1).
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

After you connect to the serial console port, you'll be prompted for a username and password. Just press return for both.

then use the LC command to setup the lan console. after you've set the ip address you can just telnet in.

Josh
What are the chances...
Brian Rich_1
Advisor

So you are saying that I would have to first go in through the console port before i will be able to telnet in. Would a converter from RJ45 to db9 work if connected to the corresponding HP console cable? That way I may still be able to connect using my PC.

Thanks for the quick responses by the way.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

Brian,

I believe that the LAN console is set to either 127.0.0.1 by default, so there would be no way to get in without configuring it with a serial connection first.

I've never tried a converter, but it should work, provided that you use the parameters that steve gave for the connection.

Josh
What are the chances...
Brian Rich_1
Advisor

thanks for your help, i will give all of your advise a try.