1753485 Members
4324 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hp 9000 wont boot from UX

b65ran
Advisor

Hp 9000 wont boot from UX

I tired to boot my 9000 server from a hard drive with HP UX on it. But it hangs in alloc_pdc_pages: Relocating PDC from 0xf0f0000000 to 0x3fb00000.

I tried to reinstall Ux through a external cd rom drive but it does the same thing. I dont see anything bad in GSP error logs.

Please help somebody.
12 REPLIES 12
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

It could be a couple things:

It could be the system just moving code around in memory (non-volatile to RAM). This would take a few minutes, so maybe try giving it a little time. If it still is hanging, then...

It could be a problem with your GSP. You don't mention the box but you might try taking the card out and re-seating it. If this works and you get up, then check and see if your firmware is in need of upgrading.

Rgrds,
Rita
b65ran
Advisor

My box rp2470 with two 440mhz processors on it. I have REV A2 gsp board in the system. I reseated the gsp board but no luck. Can you please tell how I can update the gsp firmware through windows machine ?

Thanks
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

do you have any external serial device connected, e.g. ups, modem? if so, try disconnect it and continue to try booting it up again.
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

i am interested to know if your hang stop at a letter 'g' on next line, i.e. :

alloc_pdc_pages: Relocating PDC from 0xf0f0000000 to 0x3fb00000
g <== stopped here

if so, i would suspect your server is a l-class server? try resetting the gsp using the GSP>XD command.

b65ran
Advisor

I was connected through router. I disconnected that but still no luck. I dont see any g after
alloc_pdc_pages: Relocating PDC from 0xf0f0000000 to 0x3fb00000 this. I reseted GSP with xd command. But dont see any difference. I have no clue what I should next.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

That phase of HP-UX boot can take a very long time (several minutes).

If you want to see whether the machine is still "alive" while this is going on, use the GSP's Virtual Front Panel function and answer Yes when it asks whether to enable the "live mode". This will cause some hex codes to be displayed. If the hex codes keep changing, the boot is still going forward.

Not all hex codes are errors: to my knowledge, these codes are not described in the public documentation for any newer 9000 server models, but the coding appears to be similar to the one used with the K class servers:
http://www.openpa.net/doc/k-class-leds.html

In particular, the codes like CExx indicate how far the kernel initialization has progressed.

If you see codes starting with D, it might be that the hardware is shutting itself down. Make sure the system is not overheating: check that all the fans are OK and there is nothing blocking the airflow.

If you get codes of the form FxxF, the kernel startup is complete and the rest of the boot process is controlled by the boot scripts. If you get this far, it would suggest something is wrong with the console access: reset the server, go to the PDC prompt and check that the console path is set correctly.

MK
MK
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

Re:
"Not all hex codes are errors: to my knowledge, these codes are not described in the public documentation for any newer 9000 server models, but the coding appears to be similar to the one used with the K class servers:"

It Sure Would Be Nice if someone at HP would
volunteer to take that as an action item
to be fixed: get the darn codes documented
on a public web page, findable via Google.
Making that kind of information available
is ethical, moral, and follows the old HP Way.
(You could also identify by name the people
who don't want it done, and volunteer
them for early retirement :)

thanks,
Stan
sieler@allegro.com
b65ran
Advisor

Here are my hex codes

processor display_activity() update 1F00
Joelmel Roche
Valued Contributor

Pls post the GSP firmware.

I think you need to GSP firmware upgrade.

System hang, cant TOC actually seems to really be a dc voltage shutdown issue
due to olar changes in diagnostics + gsp firmware.
Hope can help...

regards,