108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Ignite

I have an ignite server running 11.i os.When I try to use the 11.00 installation I get a proccessor error, after the first reboot.However the 11.00 works on 650 procs or lower.My 11.i works fine without a problem on 750 procs.I can use my cd's to load 11.00 directly and it works.These are the same cd's that I used to load on my ignite server setup.Any thoughts on this?
Thank you
8 REPLIES 8
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon,

What type systems are you trying to load the 11.0 image on?
What release date was that 11.0 image created from?

Some newer HW need newer release dated OS & some systems - specifically cell-based systems - are not supported running 11.0, just 11.11.
Also system firmware levels - if very old - can have trouble with newer release level OS.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Tobias Hartlieb
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

what exactly is the error message you got? Does it stop booting - or just continues with only telling the error? Please tell more about the HW involved!

Regards.

Tobias
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

It is when I am pre loading N-class machines with 750 procs.I can pre load them from a cdrom with the same version I have on my ignite server.It works from the cdrom but not from ignite.I get a proccessor error on the first reboot.Then it just hangs there and wants to be rebooted.If I use the cdrom it works fine.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon,

Then I would say that there's enough HW difference beteween the system that provided the image & the system you're trying to Ignite.
You have to remember that the cold-install process pulls drivers & patches based solely on the HW it's presented with. So that's why the cold-install succeeds & the Ignite fails.
IIRC, the 650 is a PA8700 & the 750 is a PA8700+ and that's evidently enough difference to mess up the Ignite install.

Rgds,
Jeff
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Hi Jeff,

That all makes sense to me, but I am still confused on one issue.I can understand why it fails but why does it work when i choose 11.i.It only fails when I choose 11.0 from the same ignite server.
Tobias Hartlieb
Trusted Contributor

Hi John,

you need simply a minimum OS release, i.e. a minimun Patch Level:
XSWHWCR1100 Bundle must by from Sep 01 (IPR0109) or higher!

Probably, this is the case for your 11i bundle, but not for the 11.0 bundle you install - maybe you have to include this bundle in to your Ignite depot, too!

Reagrds.

Tobias

Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi (again) Jon,

Well, if it's got 750 PA8700+ CPUs is *has* to be an rp7400 at least as 750s were never available for the old N-class.
And again as pointed out there must be a minimum release (or patch) level met to properly support those CPUs. And IF this is an rp7410/7405 - which are cell-based systems like the 'Domes - then 11.0 is *not* supported - only 11.11.

If this is an rp7400 (not 7410 or 7405) system then I'd suggest you create a new 11.0 image from as new a release as possible & use it for this system. That *should* work.

Rgds,
Jeff
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Thanks
Jon