New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install issue with new PDC fw on K class server

SOLVED
Go to solution
ecorban
Frequent Advisor

Install issue with new PDC fw on K class server

hI

Im trying to install the new PDC fw for K class server CBHK4201.frm. it requires me to install from tape. the dd of the fw image to the tape unit works ok but i cant boot from the tape unit. the tape is connected directly to an 6685A hba, login as privat loop (as expected). When i interupt the boot process and select the hba to boot of i get three options of the one hba. then the host fails to boot off the tape unit. the tape unit is an DLT8000 multi tape unit.

Whats going wrong here ? what do i need to fix to make this happen.

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Sanjiv Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Eddie,

I hope you have created the tape with the following command
dd if=CBHK4201.frm of=/dev/rmt/0m bs=2k

Please follow the instruction carefully:
http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.pdb|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CBHK4201&context=firmware:cpu

hth.
Everything is possible
ecorban
Frequent Advisor

yes. i already followed these instructions
but still have the problem. How do i makethe tape bootable ? Or more to the point how do i select the exact path to the tape device........
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Eddie,

At the BDH prompt do
sea ipl
you'll get sevearal "Random Access" devices & those will be disk drives and DC/DVD drives.
But you *should* get a "Sequential Access" device & that's the tape.
It will have PX (Where x=some digit) next to it (let's say P3). You would then enter
bo P3
and let 'er rip.
If it fails to boot then, the tape is bad & you need to recreate another. Oh & cleaning the tape drive might not be a bad idea.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

-you need at least PDC 41.34 to boot from this HBA
-"sea" does not show any devices behind a FC card. You have to know the exact hardware path to the tape. To get the path you have to run mapper2 from ODE. mapper2 is on the boot disks (if online diag is installed) or on the Support+ CD. To run it:

bo pri (or from CD)
interact with IPL ? y
ISL> ode
ODE> run mapper2

Then you should get an ioscan like mapping of the system. Of cause, if you have an ioscan, you can take the hardware path from there.

Then try from PDC Main Menue

bo hardware path

If this does also not work, the IODC (IO dependend Code from the PDC) does not support the DLT drive.

I hope this helps

best regards

Stefan