Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install "core lan" card drivers

Samshen
Frequent Advisor

Install "core lan" card drivers

Hi all,
I have to upgrade the core I/O network card of my HP rp 4410 server into A7011A.
From documentation (5971-4261) I read that:

you will not need to perform the following hardware and software installation steps if your Gigabit
Ethernet card was factory installed (product option 0D1) or its LAN port is “built-in” or “core” LAN.

My understanding is that the card driver is in the system, as this is a "Core Lan".
So I check that but I cannot find it.
Anyway, when I will physically install the card, the system will claim this hardware?

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Install "core lan" card drivers

I was slightly confused about your motives until I realized that A7011A is a 1000base-SX fiber-type gigabit LAN card, as opposed to the default 1000base-T card.

Before you install the card, run "lanscan -v".
It will display the name of the driver used for the existing core LAN. It should be "igelan" - at least on our rp4440's it is so.

As "lanscan" sees the adapter, the driver should already be enabled in the kernel configuration. You can use SAM to double-check that.

If "igelan" is the driver mentioned in the installation instructions for A7011A, you can go ahead with the hardware installation - the OS will claim the new card without installing any new drivers. If the driver name is different, you need to enable the required driver in SAM (Kernel Configuration -> Device Drivers) and process a new kernel.

Those lines in the documentation are probably there mainly because the same documentation comes along with each server with a factory-integrated or otherwise built-in gigabit LAN card.
MK
mits
Respected Contributor

I do not think HP supports the A7011A LAN card as the core IO LAN. There is no upgrade kit for the core IO LAN that you can purchase from HP.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There are 2 different core I/O LAN cards for your server, but the A7011A isn't one of them.
You may add this card to another slot and leave the core I/O in place.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!