Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Debian on C3000 with USB keyboard

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

Installing Debian on C3000 with USB keyboard

I am attempting to install Debain 3.0r1 on a HP9000/C3000. That system *only* has USB ports for keyboard/mouse, and after the Debian install kernel boots, it displays a message and waits for you to hit the keyboard to continue. I noticed as soon as the Debian kernel boots, that the keyboard and mouse stop functioning, and it is impossible for me to continue the installation. The install manuals for Debian don't address this issue, and google searches seem to talk about using a PS/2 port to overcome this, but I don't have that option on a C3000.

Anyone else run into this ?
5 REPLIES 5
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Installing Debian on C3000 with USB keyboard

I had tried this on a B1000 as well. I initially overcame the problem by using hyperterm to attach to the serial console. However after partitioning the hard drive I found that the CDROM wasnt beeing "seen" even though that is what I had booted from. I think it had something to do with the fact that it is IDE?? I gave up after that.

However the following site has the latest Debian kernels in iso format that you can burn to a CD:
ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/cd-images/testing/auto-isos/

Perhaps they have overcome this? I havent had time to check yet.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

I went out a bought a serial cable, and things worked like a charm.

I am not going to try using the graphics card, after finding all the questions and issues about getting xfree86 to run on fx cards, I'll just stick to gui over my network. I also disconnected the USB keyboard and mouse, and things work fine. Once PALO was configured and I set the boot path to the correct disk, it will reboot in under 3 mins and go right to the Debian drive and boot.

=)
Christopher Strong
Occasional Visitor

I have the same problem. I don't know what to do...I'm thinking of hooking up a serial terminal to finish the install, adding USB support, and then trying to see if I can get
the system keyboard to work.

But that's a clunky workaround.

Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

As I indicated in my previous post, just using a serial cable connected to a PC did the trick for me.

Good Luck!
Christopher Strong
Occasional Visitor

In the end, I had to remove the video card
in order to get Debian to listen to the
serial terminal. But it's up and running now.

As soon as I can get a new kernel to compile,
I'll try the USB keyboard and graphic console
again.