108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Installing Internal SCSI Drives - HP 9000 K370

SOLVED
Go to solution
glennes
Frequent Advisor

Installing Internal SCSI Drives - HP 9000 K370

I have initially installed a single A3353 internal SCSI drive in the internal drive bay of the machine and loaded the core HP-UX 10.20 system onto it. The system boots fine to this drive and runs fine after boot up.

I wanted to add a second A3353 drive to the internal SCSI bus and bought one for this purpose so as to provide more drive space for the system. It is, of course, identical to the one initially installed. There are no jumpers installed on the block near the SCSI connector on the back of either drive. The SCSI ribbon cable has a SCSI terminator already built into it at the end of the cable. Is there something I must do to differentiate the two drives for the system to see them separately (a jumper, for example, on one drive), or is it a software setting that has to be done to make the system see both drives, while still recognizing the initial drive as the boot device?

(When I installed the second drive onto the ribbon cable, the system no longer recognized either the initial drive nor the second drive at boot up and will not boot from the initial drive as neither drive shows up in the SEA listing of boot devices at boot-up when both drives are connected to the SCSI ribbon cable at the same time.) 

1) What must I do to get the system to recognize both drives, seeing the initial drive as the boot drive? Or, preferably,

2) What I want to do is to cause the system to see both drives as a single logical bootable volume so that I have a total of 8 GB of space available for system files, etc. instead of the 4GB it has been seeing on the single initially installed drive. There is only about 2 GB of the 4GB left after installing the OS and that is not enough space to install the HP additional application software I have. What do I do to make this happen? 

Thanks!

Glenn

6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>both drives as a single logical bootable volume

LVM can do that.  Or mount different filesystems on that new drive.

glennes
Frequent Advisor

I'm sure LVM will work for the logical volume setup. However, I cannot get that far along to try it.  I cannot get the system to accommodate the second SCSI drive on the internal bus strap. When I do have both drives on the strap and boot from the CD drive with the OS install CD, the system crashes with a 'third party SCSI bus hang' error, followed by a system panic. Clearly, there is something the system does not like about having two A3353 drives on the bus strap at the same time. Either drive will work fine if it is the only drive on the bus strap (so we know both drives are good), but putting both of them on the bus at the same time crashes the system.

What is causing that?

Glenn

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Either drive will work fine if it is the only drive on the bus strap but putting both of them on the bus at the same time crashes the system.

Do you have different SCSI IDs on the two drives and CD?

glennes
Frequent Advisor

Dennis...

I'm sure the IDs for the CD drive and the initially-installed SCSI drive are different since they will both work on the bus at the same time. However, I believe the ID for the second SCSI drive must be set at the same ID as the initially-installed drive which is why they are conflicting and causing this problem.

However - I do not know how to set the SCSI ID on the A3353 SCSI drives. Can you tell me how to do it? I cannot find anything in my documentation that speaks to how to do it.

Glenn

glennes
Frequent Advisor

Dennis...

Upon closer examination of the A3353 4 GB hard drive, there is a jumper block located just above the power connector. (See the attached pciture of the jumper blocks.) It has a series of 7 pairs of pins. The jumper was on the same set/pair of pins for both drives. I moved the jumper down one row and that resolved the system crashing error.  I assume since there are 7 rows of paired pins that these pins would be the ones to set the SCSI ID for each individual drive. I have installation documentation for adding drives to the internal bay, but there is no mention of setting jumpers on these drives in any documentation I have. I thought the SCSI bus could handle up to 8 drives numbered 0-7, so since this drive only has seven paris of pins, the eighth drive must be configured with no jumper on any row of these pins.

There is also another jumper block above the one with 7 rows of paired pins and it had a jumper installed vertically across the two leftmost pins in the two rows. I do not know what that jumper is for.  I have tried booting with this jumper off completely on one drive as well as booting with the SCSI jumper on a different set of pins on each drive. In both cases, the system boots and does not crash, but in neither case do either of the two SCSI drives show up in the boot up list, although the drive light on both is working. Only the CD-ROM shows up as a bootable device. When I take the second drive out of the system and restart the system, the first drive then reappears in the boot list and the system will boot fine from it.

Am I correct in my assumption about the 7 pairs of pins being the SCSI ID jumper pins? Does it matter the order in which these pins are jumped? As I understand it, it does not matter as long as they are unique on each drive.  Do you know what the vertical jumper on the other set of pins is for? Should it be installed at all? On another pair of pins? Installed horizontally like the other jumper?

Thanks!

Glenn

glennes
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I located the jumper settings in the CE Handbook for the HP 9000 K Series. I copied the relevant pages and attached them to this post in case others can use the information.

Thanks for responding!

Glenn