108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing K Class memory in D Class Machines

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phil_2
Occasional Advisor

Installing K Class memory in D Class Machines

A VAR has sold us K-Class memory for us to install in some of our D-Class machines. HP says they may work, but probably wouldn't be supported if there are problems on the D Classes.
The memory is recognised properly, but we were told that D-Classes use EDO ECC, not the standard ECC, that the K-Class uses.

Does anyone have any experience with a situation similar to this?
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Installing K Class memory in D Class Machines

Clare,

16,32 & 64 MB DIMMs are the same for D- and K-Class. The bigger DIMMs are different. The K-Class DIMMs may work in a D-Class, but may also result in nasty memory problems. I wouldn't take the risk to put a 128 or 256MB DIMM for a K-Class into a D-Class server.
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As HP says, it may work in your D class. But I wouldn't do that as a best solution for upgrading the memory. You may face some problems in the future by doing this. However, there are some other rules you need to follow while upgrading your D class memory. Also some modules are not supported in some series ( eg: 256 and 512 MB modules are not supported in D200/D210/D310). Take a look at this guide for upgrading your memory (D class):

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/A3262-90003.pdf

HTH,
Shiju

Life is a promise, fulfill it!
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

take the memory back to the VAR and ask for the proper memory.
If you do continue to use this memory, you are looking at problems somewhere down th e road that you do not really want or need.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Phil_2
Occasional Advisor

Dead issue - Dead company as well.
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!