HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1751897 Members
5704 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Quantum DLT 8000 on rp2470 running HP-UX 11i v1

DIGAMBAR HAWALDAR

Installing Quantum DLT 8000 on rp2470 running HP-UX 11i v1

i have an rp2470 which was hooked up to a DS2100 disk array . As a temporary backup solution i am trying to install a Quantum 8000 series DLT on the same cable instead of the disk array. At the Quantum site it says that i need to download a tape driver cumulative patch PHKL_12056 which is now superseeded by others .. hence i went in for the DLT patch set on the HP website. it now shows me all the relevant patches but when i do an ioscan -fnC disk i do not get the tape device claimed.... what do i do ?

Victor
7 REPLIES 7
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
By the way command for detecting tape is:
# ioscan -fnC tape

Please do this and post the output.
Make your SCSI ID's are not clashing and BUS is terminated properly.

Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
DIGAMBAR HAWALDAR

# ioscan -fnC tape
#

Hi , thanx for the prompt reply .. as u can see from the above extract .. it gives me no response.. i have terminated the scsi properly and i have connected the DLT onto a scsi card which has 4 slots of which only one is used for this DLT. I have set the Id to 2.

Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
This means your H/w is not getting detected, once it gets detected then driver may get loaded automatically. It uses stape driver (to the best of my knowledge). I doubt some problem at H/w level, Connections and terminations.
If you have done proper installation then
#ioscan -fnC tape
Should return the tape device. Now in this if it shows Claimed Status means driver is loaded properly and if it say Unknown mean it is unable to find correct driver.

Your problem is that the H/w detection itself fails. I would suggest you to reboot the server once if possible.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
DIGAMBAR HAWALDAR

Thanks alot. i had the same suspicions.. will try to look at it more from h/w point of view. Meantime anyone else with suggestions??

Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Suggest you look at the type of SCSI connection your using. ALthough you may have everything connected correctly, different types of SCSI hardware will prevent you using that hardware unless it is of the correct type.

i.e. the card needed is wrong type for the hardware
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
DIGAMBAR HAWALDAR

Hi Michael,
Like i mentioned above.. i am using the same SCSI cable that was previously connected to the DS2100 Disk array with the same dongle to terminate. what else do i need?
do i need to force the stape driver on to that address?
thanks
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Victor,

Is the DLT8000 a HV Differential device? Most of the DLT8000's I have seen are FWD (HV) SCSI. I'm guessing that your disks in the DS2100 are LVD SCSI (not electrically compatible).

If you're unsure of the SCSI type on the DLT8000, please provide the (HP?) model number...maybe we can figure it out. The ID's of the drives in the DS2100 and the bus type in the server would be good info to fill out the picture for us.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28