108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is Someone Crankin Me?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Bardell
Advisor

How about we look at a more logical reason for this condensation, the room temperature should be monitored closely. If the guy pulling the CPU's out is covered from head to toe in sweat, chances are, it's not the CPU leaking.

However there is always the possibility the room is either too cold or too hot, well less likely to be too cold.

Think of your car windshield on a muggy day with your AC cranked up too high, what happens? Condensation builds on the outside.

Also, there is a possibility that you have mice in your server, which like to nest in these old things. Maybe the mouse drank too much water before it went to sleep. But that wouldn't explain the neighboring systems. I'm lost, I would probably say this is a CRANK!

SteveB@on-queue.com
Paul Middleton
Frequent Advisor

Greetings All,
Sorry to take so long to return and assign points, had an incident that required a short hospital stay.
Appreciate all your information, I'm sure it is nothing more than condensation on the fins. I'm having the contact send me one of the processors so I can run it in my own K-Box.
Again, Thanks for all your effort.
Paul Middleton
Dilligad - Do I Look Like I Give A Damn
Mike Fisher_5
Trusted Contributor

Paul:

I hope the 'incident' wasn't serious

I think that you'll probably learn little/nothing by having a CPU sent to you - It'll probably be fine
The 'problem' isn't going to be travelling into your state with the device

Is it a kind of 'dew point' effect?
We have high humidity in the UK
On those rare days when it isn't cool & breezy it's really noticeable how easy it is to break out into a sweat

Even so...
Our top engineer has NEVER seen condensation on CPU's in his many years of field experience
He thinks that if there was condensation there you would also see it in other 'cool' spots

When you get the answer I would love to know it
It's a puzzler

Mike
Live long & perspire :)
Don't get mad - get naked
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

I didn't bother to look at this thread until now because I thought the subject line was dumb. I don't think he is pulling your leg and I don't think this is condensation either. I suspect what you are seeing is the loss of the working fluid from a heatpipe. The tubes that you see are not solid but rather contain an inner passage. The working fluid evaporates at the heat source and condenses at the heat sink. The liquid returns to the heat sources by taken advantage of capillary action to cling to the inner walls of the heatpipe.

If I recall, the K-box processors had little red caps on the ends of the tubes and there would be no reason at all to cap solid metal rods but if the manufacturer needed to install the working fluid then you would need caps. I haven't tested what is admittedly my theory but I rather strongly suspect that you are seeing heatpipes with leaking working fluid. In that case, the cooling effect is greatly dimished and those K processors are not long for this Earth.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

I didn't bother to look at this thread until now because I thought the subject line was dumb. I don't think he is pulling your leg and I don't think this is condensation either. I suspect what you are seeing is the loss of the working fluid from a heatpipe. The tubes that you see are not solid but rather contain an inner passage. The working fluid evaporates at the heat source and condenses at the heat sink. The liquid returns to the heat sources by taking advantage of capillary action to cling to the inner walls of the heatpipe.

If I recall, the K-box processors had little red caps on the ends of the tubes and there would be no reason at all to cap solid metal rods but if the manufacturer needed to install the working fluid then you would need caps. I haven't tested what is admittedly my theory but I rather strongly suspect that you are seeing heatpipes with leaking working fluid. In that case, the cooling effect is greatly dimished and those K processors are not long for this Earth.

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

I didn't bother to look at this thread until now because I thought the subject line was dumb. I don't think he is pulling your leg and I don't think this is condensation either. I suspect what you are seeing is the loss of the working fluid from a heatpipe. The tubes that you see are not solid but rather contain an inner passage. The working fluid evaporates at the heat source and condenses at the heat sink. The liquid returns to the heat sources by taking advantage of capillary action to cling to the inner walls of the heatpipe.

Paul Middleton
Frequent Advisor

Clay,
That's just the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
The 'dumb'subject line was to get the attention of the people who just scroll thru the forums and glance at the subject lines. Some people may think it's dumb, but it's a technique that's used quite often in advertising.
I do have to say, I'm very disappointed in the responses I've been getting on this and other queries on the forums. I haven't seen anywhere near the number of "genuine" HP service tech types responding to this site.
I know, the forums are more for the customers to discuss problems that may be common between themselves, but I thought the site would be more carefully monitored for questions that just can't be answered by other users.
Don't misunderstand, I think the forums are a great resource. It's just that, given the complexities of systems, there's just not a good site on the web in general or in HP's web forums to get real help from tech types.
I was a HP CE, and I guess I just miss being able to get directly to the backline.
Sorry about the rant, but I feel I had to say something.
Again, thanks for a great answer to my question.
Regards,
Paul Middleton
Dilligad - Do I Look Like I Give A Damn
rc_5
Occasional Advisor

Well it is officially confirmed here that just such a thing does exist in believe it or not a HP laptop zt-1000. I was having heat problems with my processor. Wondering if the heat pipe from the chip to the radiator was solid I crimped it slightly... then noticed that it was soldered shut at both ends... realizing that it wasn't doing its job any longer I relocated the cooling fan directly on the chip heatsink and everything worked. Puzzled as to how this could possibly work.... a hollow pipe transmitting heat I filed the radiator end open to find the pipe dry but with a mysterious fine screen lining the pipe!!! Knowing I had nothing to fill it with but oil for a coolant I did and soldered it shut again... Using burn-in software on the processor it shut down again from heat issues but this time I found a small pinhole leak behind the copperpad in the heat sink no seeum but was evident in the fact that there was fresh oil present!! VIOLA!! I have a BAD heatsink!!! I never thought such a thing was possible!!! I assume the small hole vaporized all of the gas from the heat tube!! a new heat sink is $18 Thanks GANG!!! Chris
Paul MIddleton_2

Message to rc wolters:::
Thanks for the info on the fluids in tubing. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, or close this thread sooner, but I've been a bit busy this year.
Jan 16, 2004 I was in a car accident. Spent a month in a coma and two months learning to walk again.
It's been eight months since the accident and I'm finally getting back to something similar to my previous life. I can even drive again..
Anyway, if the person monitoring this thread is listening, please close off this thread. I would do it myself, but I can't remember the userid or password I was using when I created the thread. A lot of my papers and such were lost in the accident, now I'm creating new ID's and passwds where I can.
Thanks for all the help I've received from the forums. I don't know if I'll be able to come back anymore. Sorry.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Middleton