Did you mean: 

K Class Server CPU ratings

SOLVED
Go to solution
VINU
Frequent Advisor

K Class Server CPU ratings

Hello Friends,

I have a K450 server with 4 160MHz CPUs and 1GB memory.I want the processor ratings , so that I can purchase for servers with matching processing powers.

Thanks & Regards
Vinu
11 REPLIES 11
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

Re: K Class Server CPU ratings

afaik, all the new servers coming out come with 750mhz cpu...

I have some old N-4000 that have 550 mhz cpu.

Unix, the other white meat.
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

K450 with 4x160 MHz CPU ~ rp2470 with 1x650 MHz CPU or rp5430 with the same CPU.
You can find some comparision here:
http://www.abtechsys.com/hp_servers/hp_servers.html

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

which ratings where you looking for?

PA-RISC version 2.0 64-bit
10 functional units: 2 integer ALUs, 2 shift/merge units,
2 complete load/store pipelines, 2 FP multiply/accumulate units, 2 FP divide/square root units
4-way superscalar
2 address adders
96-entry fully-associative dual-ported TLB
TLB miss penalty of 61 cycles
32-entry BTAC (Branch Target Address Cache)
256-entry BHT (Branch History Table)
dynamic and static branch prediction modes
off-chip L1 caches up to 1MB I and 1MB D, realized in synchronous 6.7ns (150MHz) late-write 1Mb SRAMs, one cycle latency
caches are direct-mapped and dual-ported
56-entry instruction queue/reorder buffer (IRB)
each instruction includes five predecode bits
bi-endian support
Runway system/memory bus, 120MHz, 64-bit wide, featuring split transactions and glueless multiprocessing. Max. throughput of 960MB/s
Up to 180MHz frequency with 3.3V core voltage
17.7 x 19.6 mm2 die, 4'500'000 FETs, 0.5 micron, 5-layer metal CMOS packaged in a 1,085-pin flip-chip LGA package,
SPEC95 int/fp: 11.8/20.2
SPEC2000 int/fp: 125/153
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Hi Vinu, my 9000 Enterprise Server ordering guide tells me that the TPM or transaction per minute rating for a K450 with 4 CPU is 14200e. This might be a good processor gauge to compare to other HP servers. I dont have links to this information, just information from books... The systems that are around the same TPM level are:

9000/A500/550-2 way
9000/A500/440-2 way
9000/L2000/550-2 way
9000/L2000/440-3 way
9000/L2000/360-4 way
9000/N4000/550-2 way
9000/N4000/440-3 way
9000/N4000/360-4 way
9000/K260-4 way
9000/K370-3 way
9000/K380-3 way

Hope this helps.
VINU
Frequent Advisor

HELLO FRIENDS,

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUTS

VINU
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The K450 used the PA-8000 processor, and had off chip cache (1MB Instruction + 1MB Data).
The memory bus was 960MB/sec. HP-PB I/O slots were <32MB/sec and HSC slots were <160MB/sec, and they were shared bandwidth except for the HSC slot on the core I/O which was <120MB sec. Those numbers were peak (downhill with the wind behind your back). Today, if you can use HP-UX 11i, you can get pa-8800 based systems, like the rp 3440-4 with up to four 1GHz processors (1.5MB per core on chip cache and with a 32MB of chip cache shared over two processor cores), a 6.4GB/sec bus from the processor and up to 4GB/sec of I/O bandwidth with PCI-X cards. One processor core is more than a match for the K450 with four CPUs. Still, you want to get more RAM, as 1GB is very light for a 4 CPU configuration even on your K450. With today's fast chips, usually 2 GB per CPU is a good starting point, and 2 GB of RAM is the recommended minimum memory for HP-UX. Also, make sure that you don't drop your number of physical disks to lower than what you had on the K, unless you know the number of I/O's per second that you need and have calculated what you will get from a new disk solution.
Mom 6
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Other than purchasing used K-class servers, you won't be able to find anything that slow! The current rp-series is many times faster, and a lot cheaper than the original K-class boxes. However, none of the new boxes will run older operating systems. So if you aren't running HP-UX 11.11 at 64bits, buying new hardware may create compatibility problems for your applications.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Vinu: as others have said, it's not possible to find anything that slow anymore. I suggest you upgrade to an RP2405 1-way for a few thousand, or a 2-way for $10K-12K. If you absolutely have to slow it down to the speed of the old K450, you could just start a bunch of active processes to simulate an old slow box (just kidding).

Here is a document I put together, gleaned mainly from www.tpc.org and www.spec.org, which lists a variety of HP boxes, with relative performance figures (some interpolated, some based on other, similar boxes). It ain't perfect, but it is a decent enough general guide to relative server performance. Use at own risc (pun intended).

Hope it helps!! --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
VINU
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Brian,The document u had sent is greatly helped me.

Regards

Vinu
VINU
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Brian,The document u had sent greatly helped me.

Regards

Vinu
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Happy to help, Vinu. I'm going to have to update the thing, once data starts to show up on the new PA8800 servers (rp4440, 3440, and 3410). If/when I add the new stuff, I'll post the doc again, either back in this post, or in another about performance.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)