108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: K box memory requirements for Oracle 9i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Schrauth
Advisor

K box memory requirements for Oracle 9i

Running 2 K-250's each has 4 processors and 1 GB of memory. Know to upgrade to 9i RAC that we need to upgrade to 64-bit HP-UX 11. Is there any general guidelines on memory requirements?
Could be worse. Could be raining.
8 REPLIES 8
Judy Traynor
Valued Contributor
Solution

It would depend on your database size as to how much ram you need, but the simple answer is that swap and kernel tuning can only get you so far. If you running multiple (sids) I personally would opt for 8 Mb min. I just ordered a new oracle server with 32 Gb ram for 4 SIDS - Largest one is 4.5 GB.

Again - kernel tuning goes a long way to fixing and improving things.

Sail With the Wind
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

This is a classic "it depends"
question but 1GB is definitely on the very small side for 64-bit Oracle. Your limit on your K-box is 4GB and I would tend to at least install 3GB and would really want 4GB especially if you are running multiple instances.

You certainly don't want this box to swap so the more memory the better.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The K250 won't run 64bit HP-UX so you're stuck with 3.75Gb max usable memory. The recomended minimum RAM for a 64bit opsystem is 4Gb.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Actually, K250 can run 64-bit HP-UX, since its processor is PA8000, like the K260.

So you can have more memory than 3.75Gb. If you are running 64-bit HP-UX, of course.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Eric Schrauth
Advisor

I was thinking that we would need 4 gig too. HP had us check some numbers and said that we could run 64 bit (a requirement for Oracle 9i on HP-UX) so I think we can run it too.
AMSA Unix Admin
Advisor

FWIW - we're running 9i non-RAC on k570, 6cpu 1GB ram, 64-bit hpux 11.0. I don't know the sga parameters but the user processes are grabbing up 70MB each. we had to add add'l swap file (2.5gb total now). This is a devel/test environment so not set for performance but it does work for our needs. dunno what add'l overhead RAC will need.

Chuck Davis
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

From the install's I've done for Oracle 9i, like just two weeks ago, I found that you need to take your current memory requirements and multiply them by 2.5. Then allocate 4GB of disk JUST for the software install! 9i is a pig, especially being that it consumes more resources than the OS.

In order to make your machines, the K250's, 64bit ready, you have to install the latest FIRMWARE. Have HP do it, that way if it fails and fries your board, they are already on-site ready to act on the issue. From that, I'd make sure they have a spare K250 system board ready!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Eric Schrauth
Advisor

Harry,
Thanks for the input. We are currently running 1GB on our K-250's and are debating on how to get above the 2GB mark cheaply. From what I understand, the 515MB memory modules are about 5 times as much as the 256MB modules. Using 512MB allows us to go to the 4GB limit, but what I was wondering was if I could pick up a 450 and fill it with 256MB modules, taking us to that 4GB number for alot less number. The only question is are there any issues with switching out all of the boards in our 250's to the new 450's. Does anyone have any information/ideas? Thanks