New Discussion юеВ

K380 server disk drive info.

SOLVED
Go to solution
singis
Advisor

K380 server disk drive info.

Hello,
One of my internal disk on a K380 server failed, I wanted to know if it can be plugedin and out with out removing the whole think.
I donot want to shut down my system, I wanted to know if K380 as plugin and plugout kind of disk drives.
Thanks,
Singis
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: K380 server disk drive info.

No, the internal disk drives on the K series are NOT hot-pluggable.

You must power down the K, remove cage that contains the disks, replace the bad disk, put the cage back in, and power the system back on.

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

K380 is so old, I can hardly remember what it looks like anymore :) but as far as I know, none of the internal disks on any K-class machine was the hot swap type. Only hotswap drives on K's were Jameca enclosure drives, not the ones buried inside the chasis. If you do not have a pull out tab without cracking open the chasis, more than likely it will not be hot pluggable.

Thanks for the help
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

To replace an internal drive on any K-class computer, you need a Torx socket set (although a flat blade will do) and remove the subchassis that holds the CDROM, tape drive and the internal disks. Note that only 4 screws hold the chassis in place--the rest are part of the subchassis. The entire box slides out but be careful--it can weigh 15-20 pounds if it is full of disks. There is a printed circuit board loosely attached to the back of the chassis which you will need to unhook to get access to the drives. From there, remove the bad drive's power and data cables, unscrew the drive and use it to set the jumpers correctly on the replacement drive (SCSI address is via small jumbers). Then reverse the process to reassemble.

Or you can have HP service do the job for you.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Singis

Internal disks of K380 are Non-hot pluggible. You have to shutdown the server to replace it.

Regards
Mahesh
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Note:
The external A33112A/A3311A enclosure, called a Jamaica, were not hot swappable drives. They were hot pluggable. If the data on those drives is being accesses and you pull the drive, you are going to have problems.

Singis,
remove the 4 screws, lift up on the white tabs to release the Peripheral Bay. Lift up on the circuit board on the back of the bay, remove the data cables and power cords. The power cords can go in any of the available locations. Be careful not to bend the pins on the cables. Remove the 4 screws on the sides of the drive you need to replace. Set the jumpers for scsi address on your new drive the same as the old one, and then you put it all back together in the reverse order.

You should be able to interrupt the boot process at the "press any key within 10 seconds" point and do a SEA (search) and it'll go look for available drives. You should see your replacement disk.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.