108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: K420 hanging on Init C440 during boot during boot up

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

K420 hanging on Init C440 during boot during boot up

Hello, could anyone tell me what check the system is making when it hangs during the inital system check and hits Init C440 dpu01. The K420 box I have is getting to that point and never getting any farther.

tks
Cathy Squires
9 REPLIES 9
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

C440 means that either the console can't be reached by the computer or you have forgotten to do a CO to put it back in console mode to allow the boot process to complete.

give a look at those items
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for responding, I need to ask you 2 things, what is a CO and how do I put it back in console mode, and also, I have the console connected to the computer via the same cable it's been attached to for the past 4 years, could it just have loosed up or what?

tks again
Cathy
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

I have the console connected to the computer via the same cable it's been attached to for the past 4 years, could it just have loosed up or what?

a k will boot just fine without a console if autoboot is enabled or is autoseach is enable and able to find a device to boot from.

So, has these settings been changed?
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

what is a CO and how do I put it back in console mode

someone does a CNTRL-B to access the GSP. you'll see a CM> prompt. To get out, type "co" ( no double quote).
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

a k will boot just fine without a console if autoboot is enabled or is autoseach is enable and able to find a device to boot from.

So, has these settings been changed?

Unfortuntely this system is in NY and I'm in VA so I'm having to trust the guy on site.

Prior to getting your 1st reply I had him switch the online k420 for the spare and got the same error in the same place.

At that point I figured that it had to be something attached to the box, so I had been in the process of having him remove all the cables and put them back on 1 at a time to figure it out that way. Thanks to you, I'm having him just remove the console cable put the rest of the cables back on and will try the reboot again. It is set to auto boot the primary drive so hopefully it will be OK.

I'm still curious, what's the CO mode? Is that the configureation menues on the console?

tks
Cathy
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

Skip the 2nd req for the CO info, I just got your message.

tks
ecs
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

I have the console connected to the computer via the same cable it's been attached to for the past 4 years, could it just have loosed up or what?

they might have loosened up, but they are usually screwed down so that doesn't happen. This condition is easily checked, so do so.

More likely, someone has inadvertenly hit some hits on the keyboard and has changed the configuration of the console.

Or, the console may have gone bad. if you have a known good console to swap this one out, you can compare configurations and tell if the console needs to be replaced

This can happen if the terminal itself is in an incorrect mode or for other reasons.

To fix the problem:

1. Reset the system console by turning off the console.
2. Hold down the "D" key and continue to hold the key down while powering up the console.
3. Wait 10 - 15 seconds, and then release the key.
4. A message should appear in the lower left-hand part of the screen displaying:
'Default configs used, press any key to clear'
Cathy Squires
Frequent Advisor

Thank you once again, the machine is up and running and I can have my weekend back.

Cathy Squires
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Some clarification on the CO mode. The poster is referring to the CO command (co also works) for the porcessor ROMs. When you type CTRL-B on almost all of the HP 9000 servers made in the last 10 years, the system console will be connected to a separate processor that handles special processor features like selftests and bootup options. The processor ROMs have a set of commands (type HE or he to see them) which are activated with CTRL-B. The processor ROMs don't know anything about HP-UX so typing CTRL-B and walking away will leave the console disconnected from HP-UX and idling on the processor ROM code. The CO command returns the console to HP-UX.

The K-series boxes have a service key on the front which is used to power off the computer, put it into run mode or service mode. In service mode, the CTRL-B feature is enabled, while in the normal position (vertical) the CTRL-B character has no special meaning.

The C440 error also means that the console can't be contacted. Someone may have played with the settings on the terminal (ie, REMOTE MODE is off) or listed a binary file on the console containing special escape sequences that were recognized by the terminal and changed internal settings. The 'D' key reset places the terminal back into a default state.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin