1751976 Members
4983 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: K460 does not start - power up problems

Heiko Nardmann
Occasional Contributor

K460 does not start - power up problems

After shutting down our K460 and transporting to another location by car the machine does not start anymore.

I get the following message in the lcd display:

switch on
proceeding to turn on dc
proceeding to power shutdown

This continues forever in a cycle. Even the fan of the power supply does not start.

What could have happened here? I suspect that something inside has loosened. But what?
7 REPLIES 7
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Check all the connections, especially the big fan on the bottm side of the server. If the fans doesnot start, the system won't boot. It might be probably a loose connection as you stated. If needed, get the help of your hardware support.

Also, check input power sources, I/O cards connectivity etc.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Geno Church_1
Valued Contributor

When this happens the system board has faulted out. I'm a customer engineer and each time I run into this error the system board has to be replaced.

Geno
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

You can try reseating the Core Board and the Power Supply. Occasionally, when moving, they get jostled just enough to cause issues, however, as stated elsewhere, this usually causes it to short out during initial power-on and the Power module needs to be replaced. Every great once in a while, it can be the HSC Expansion Chassis that causes this as well, but I have only had that happen twice in 6 years.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Heiko Nardmann
Occasional Contributor

I thought that at least the fan of the power supply has to start. But this does not seem to be the case since the lcd works fine without a running power supply fan. And the big one at the bottom does not work as well so far. Can someone state whether the start of the power supply fan depends on something else or whether a faulty power supply can be the only reason?

How do I check the power supply? There should be somewhere some pin layout spec to check the voltage output of this white connector with a multimeter. Where do I find this?

Since we bought this machine as a used one a few weeks ago I wonder whether it makes sense to reduce the buying price and see whether a power supply replacement makes the machine work again or whether a return of it to the seller is the better alternative.
So there is no hardware contract so far (which seems to make sense for this old machine).

So far I found a minimum price of $45 plus postal+package ($35) for a new power supply. What would a system board cost? Who knows the part number of the system board so that I can google for it?

Another question: if the system board is too much for our IT budget: is it possible to place the two CPUs into another machine (K580)? Maybe I have a cheap offer for a K580 without CPU and without HDs but with the same power supply as the K460.

Thanks for the already given answers.
Geno Church_1
Valued Contributor

Here is the part number of the system board...A3284-69505

SYSTEM CARD-4 WAY A3284-69505 K450/K460/K360
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

bad situation. The only thing you can do without any replacement parts is to build a minimal configuration (no HSC cards/expansion cards), two memory dimms in one carrier, one CPU, Core I/O card must be in. If the system then still fails, and you checked to proper connection of he left parts, then you should open a HP support call to get more help.

Best regards

Stefan
Heiko Nardmann
Occasional Contributor

I talked with the seller and told them that I assume to have a faulty power supply. They told me to send it (the power supply) in to them. They are going to repair it.
Then I will see whether it is really the power supply or something else.
I am going to give feedback when I get an answer from the seller.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful hints.