New Discussion юеВ

Re: K580 Replacement?

SOLVED
Go to solution
doris grady
Frequent Advisor

K580 Replacement?

Hi,
What server does HP currently offer that is either most comparable with the old K580 in performance/class....or maybe the question is what server is the replacement box for the K580 within its space/class? If there are a couple, that is good, too. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

The K580 is fairly old, so there really isn't anything that is currently comparable to it.

Any of the new rp series servers will likely WAY outperform the K580. The rp3410, rp3440 and rp4440 are all very viable depending on the number of PCI slots, processors and RAM you may need.

If you want something used, an rp24xx may fit the bill. Those have a max of 2 processors but could go up to at least 550 MHz processors.

The rp54xx may fit the bill as well. The rp5470's could have up to 4 processors that I *think* could be up to 750 MHz.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The K-Class family was replaced by the N-Class first, then by rp7400, rp7410 and now rp7420.

But there are some new, smaller systems with up to 8 CPUs, e.g. rp3xxx and rp4xxx.

Please have a look at the enty level:

http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/entry_level/index.html

and the mid-range (up to 32 CPUs):

http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/mid_range/index.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Patrick's recommendation is right on. I just wanted to add that you'll be pleased to know that the newer servers require a lot less (vertical) rack space -- particularly the rp-24xx and rp-34xx series. The only caveat is that they're a lot deeper than the K's, and they may stick out of the back of some older racks, or at least make for cramped quarters for cabling in the rear. If you're replacing the K, there'll be plenty of room above and below, so it's probably not an issue, but worth keeping in mind.

Here's a link to the main page for these entry-level servers on the HP's web site:

http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/entry_level/index.html

you can get full specs by clicking on each model title, under the pictures.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

This is the route we took:

K460 -> L2000 -> rp4440.

Although it has to be said that alot here changed between K460 and L2000.

I hope you find a server that fits the bill, I think most of the servers around today will significantly out perform the K580.
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can use the following rule for processor power

1 CPU for K580 : 6500 tpm
1 PA8800 800 Mhz CPU : 24000 tpm
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Doris

1.K580 Server is based on Technology obelete by now. Latest Entry Level Servers like rp34XX or rp44XX series have much better performance in terms of IO Bandwidth and tpm.

2. Depending on your budget, you may chose any entry level server to replace K580.

3. You may face issues if you have external SCSI devices, because K580 uses HVD SCSI interfaces . You will have to order HVD interfaces for such devices in case you want to use them with new servers.

Regards
Mahesh
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

In physical space, the rp8420 takes the same 17 Rack Units that the K580 used, but supports 32 processor cores and 256GB of RAM. It's a great replacement if you have the money, but realistically, the K580 could only have 6 CPUs if you cut back on the I/O, so most customers never had more than 4 CPUs. Even then the max I/O bandwidth of the K580 was 680MB/sec, while the rp3440 would be about 3.5GB/sec (3500MB/sec). Although the rp3440 only has 4 I/O slots, and 4 processor cores, at 1GHz each core would match up to 4 of the 240MHz K580 processors. CPU Bus/Memory bandwidth of the K580 was 960MB/sec, versus 6.4GB/sec for the rp3440 for the CPU bus and even more for the memory bus. With all the combo cards, such as the dual port disk (SCSI or FC)/ dual port GigE in a single card, the I/O is much more effective per slot than the K-class. The question is how much growth capacity do you need?
Mom 6