1753468 Members
4775 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: K580 speed

daniel smith_3
Frequent Advisor

K580 speed

Hi! I am upgrading a H50 to a K580. I was wondering why does it take so long for the K580 to bring up SAM compared to the H50. The K580 has faster processors and more memory shouldnt it be faster all around? I am assuming that it will process much faster than the H50, but what slows SAM down? Thanks for helping my curious mind!
8 REPLIES 8
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
On what basis are you comparing the the speed of sam?
I have no more H50 (gave it away 6 years ago...) but just installed 2 months ago (dont laugh... yes a 10.20 for applications not yet migrated (oracle 7 + forms 3...)
It takes the system less than 10 secs to show sam in X and almost instantly reacts and displays to click e.g. users, but il will be slow as usual when going to disks... (rescaning...)

All the best
Victor
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Oops
should read installed a K580...

Th H50 was in sam dead slow (HPUX9) was <100Mhz and 256MB RAM and the internal scsi disks for boot cannot be compared with the ones on a K...

the K is 2 PA8200 and 2 GB RAM...
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

I just compared with K360s...one in 10.20 the other 11.00
so to get sam with all the icons it take less than 8 seconds (6-8)
And the K580 5...
So this bring me to wonder what load do you have? what show up in top?
Any abnormal defunct processes slwoing down the box?

All the best
Victor
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Daniel,

Could this be a hostname/ip problem ?

# nslookup server_name
# nslookup ip_of_server_name

is the above output the same for both commands ?

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Not applicable

Maybe you should just quit you job!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

SAM has gone through a lot of performance enhancments and none of the delays are related to the CPU speed. SAM startup is very dependent on I/O drivers so even if you had 10x faster processors, SAM will still be slow for a machine with more I/O or with problem I/O. Remove any I/O cards that do not have drivers or devices attached.

Start with ioscan. Some of the largest and fastest models (750 MHz) can take 2-5x longer than your K580 of H50 to complete ioscan (without the -k option). If ioscan takes a much longer time to complete, that is likelhy where the delays are located. There is nothing you can do to change this as the drivers discover hardware at their own speed and some hardware is painfully slow to probe. Shutdown the K580 and pull all your I/O cards out except for the core I/O board. Then bootup and see how ioscan (and SAM) are responding.

SAM now (11.11 latest patches) runs a background scan while you traverse the menus. It still takes a while but it is going on behind the scenes and less visible. HINIT: ioscan is blazingly fast with the -k option. Not much help for SAM aas it must force a scan for new hardware. ioscan -k just looks at what was present at bootup.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

A small addition to Bill's message: look at dmesg - and log files: syslog and samlog.

If you have any HW or SW problem, there will be a hint there. And could you please verify that you have the latest SAM/Obam patch installed.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM

Hi dani

Tel me onething, how did u load os on the K580 while migrating from H50. Have used the same os copy and restored using igniteUX. Mostly during migration, we uses this way to load the os and tune the OS to suit to the new hardware.

Regards
SK
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions