108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: K580 trouble when adding 2 processors

SOLVED
Go to solution
daniel smith_3
Frequent Advisor

K580 trouble when adding 2 processors

Have a K580 that I am trying to add two processors! I currently have 4 procs and it runs great! When I try to add 5 and 6 the system doesnt want to start up. the display reads: "Proceeding to turn on DC". I am not getting any of the test codes that are normally displayed such as when I have 4procs installed insteam of 5 or 6.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan
11 REPLIES 11
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The most obvious answer is that the CPU boards are bad or are incompatible. All the CPU boards in a K-box must be identical (Same CPU Version and speed). Another possibility is that the firmware versions are imcompatible. Check the FW version of your 4 old CPU's. I would then remove them and install 1 of your new CPU boards in slot 0 and try to boot. Repeat with the other processor. Check the Firmware versions of these two boards.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
daniel smith_3
Frequent Advisor

sorry! Forgot to mention that I did test the new processors in different slots with my existing procs! All work fine until I put a proc in slot 4. Then nothing at all happens! system powers on and that is about all.
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

you could possibly have a K380 which can only take up to 4 CPU's, the K580 & K380 take the same CPU's.
daniel smith_3
Frequent Advisor

are there switches or something that turn processor slot 4 and 5 on or off? The back plane part number seems to match that of a K580! I just tested all 6 processors together in a known K380 and the system came up fine!
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Let me retract that - 6 CPU's can go into the K380 and K580.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi, you need to update the firmware most likely to the latest version 42.01

The following features, fixes and enhancements appear in server
firmware revision 42.01:

Do not update to firmware revision 42.01 unless Fibre Channel
boot is required.

Fixes support for 6 processors, which in PDC version 41.34 had a
bug which caused the 5th and 6th processors in a 6-way system to
be invisible to ODE MAPPER, and HPUX even though all 6 processors
were shown through BCH.

PDC emits a chassis code (8cx3 where x is the GSC bus number) if
no DINO PCI chip is found. So to prevent this from occuring the
chassis code has been changed from a WARN to an INIT.

Thats an excert from the patch details.

Have alook at the version on your system and let us know.

Andy
Jim Thomas_5
Advisor

Having a K-Class system fail with "Proceeding to turn on DC" means that something is basically wrong with the CPU H/W that the Power Monitor detected and refused to turn on DC voltages. If indeed the problem seems to be associated only with one of the CPU Slots then I would suspect a H/W problem with the system - perhaps with the System Board. May need HP Service Engineer to check it out.
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Dan: I thought "PDC version as soon as I read your post. Then, Andrew nailed it, chapter and verse. I don't normally beg for points, and don't actually want any for this one, but Andrew really deserves something for the detailed response (he kept me from having to look all that stuff up).

Nice job, Andrew. Dan, I hope the PDC update fixes your problem.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Dan,

I'm not sure that the f/w is really the issue for you. I agree with Jim Thomas that you probably have a hardware problem of some sort.

My first guess would be a messed-up connector on the system board. If everything looks ok there, you might want to swap the power supplies between the working K380 and the K580 (if your situation allows for this). It may be that you have a weak PS and it just can't deliver enough current for all six CPUs. You might also want to try the PSM card.

I'm attaching the K-series CPU upgrade guide, for your reference. Let us know how things work out.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28