108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L Class DVD read/ writer

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sheriff Andy
Trusted Contributor

L Class DVD read/ writer

We have an L1000 server. We don't have a dvd drive in it, as we have an internal DAT drive. I have a LAN/ Ultra2 SCSI card in this (part number A5838A I think).

I was wondering if it would be possible to hook up an external DVD read/writer to it thru this LAN/ Ultra2 SCSI card.

Another question, is the internal DAT drive something that can be taken out of the system while the OS is running? If so, could it be replaced with a DVD drive without having to take the system down?

Thanks in advance,
Andy
8 REPLIES 8
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi Andy,

If you have an external DVD drive, you definitely can connect it to the mentioned card, you just need a suitable cable, just take into account that you will have to rebuild kernel in order to include in it DVD drivers.
Re your intention to replace tape with DVD, it's theoretically possibly, but you will have to open server's cover and to work with reconnections when computer is up and running and all contacts are under voltage, which is strongly not recommended. And in this case too, you will have to rebuild the kernel in order to see DVD properly.
As you remember, kernel rebuilding requires rebott 8))))).

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

You definitely need to power down the system before removing / replacing a SCSI DAT drive unit. After powered down, remove the drive, 4 screws(?) and lift out. If replacing with DVD unit verify the SCSI target addresses. There'll be dip switches on the DVD to set. Check the SCSI address on the DAT first and the SCSI cable as well as ioscan. Powering on will only regenerate the SCSI target addresses if the DAT drive is bad / down. Use ioscan to verify as claimed.

Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi Andy,

you can connect a scsi dvdrw/dvd to the port mentioned yes. Yopu will need to set the scsi Id to one that isnt already used on that bus.

if you want to replace the dat drive internally with an int dvd, then you will need to power off the server to do it. Preferably removing the power cords aswell, as there is still power running through the server when its off.
One reason to power the server off is the internal connections/power, the other is you have to remove 2 off the small fans behind it to get to the connections(well unless you have small hands). This would cause the system to panic and crash if both were pulled.

Andy
Sheriff Andy
Trusted Contributor

It seems that unplugging the DAT drive to plug in the DVD drive is not a good way to go.

Andy,

Would you know what dvd rw would be able to hook up to the L Class server?

Thx,
Andy
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi andy,

I dont know of a particular dvdrw that is supported on the Lclass. I really only referenced it because you mentioned a dvdrw.

One that would probably work is the storageworks dvdrw. but you need an tape array enclosure for this.

details here
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00259487/c00259487.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

This would of course work as a cd/dvd but would need to use the dvd-tools set or xcdroast to use the functionality of dvd burning.

I would imagine most scsi dvdrw's would work, but you have to look more into the software support. Also if your using 11.0 or 11.i There are patches needed for the dvdrw fileset aswell

Andy
Sheriff Andy
Trusted Contributor

Anyone out there have an L Class server with an external DVD drive? Were you able to load your OS from it?

Thx again,
Andy
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Yes, for sure you can do this with a supported drive.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Andy,

The true supported external DVD-ROM drives for the L class servers are

C4314A external standalone dvdrom drive
or
C4315A external rack enclosure dvdrom drive, this needs an enclosure of part number C4317A or C4318A

The C4317A takes 2 devices and the C4318A takes upto 4 devices.

Both these devices will load HPUX easily.

They also have the same dvd drive mech as the internal supported scsi drive which is A5220A

Andy