108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L1000 Fault Light Constantly On

SOLVED
Go to solution
william_161
Advisor

L1000 Fault Light Constantly On

Hi Guys i have a HP L1000 and recently the faulty light been constantly on. The only error i get when i boot the machine up is PDH source 3 (i think) Dont know what that mean though. The server sometime boots up to HP-UX and everything tested ok on STM. But sometimes it doesnt bootup at all and crashes on memory test. And some time when it does boot up to HP-UX it gives me aload of rubbish saying that some of the volume been moved or something like that. Hope that you guys can help me out but if you want more info i post back again with the correct errors and volume when this L1000 boots up
10 REPLIES 10
Tobias Hartlieb
Trusted Contributor

Hi William,

FAULT LED on means something like "system crashed, no normal boot" ...

You mentioned also STM. This means, you have Diagnostic installed. This is good.
Therefore, check for the file /var/tombstones/ts99. Have a look into this file. There should be some lines with "timestamp": Which timestamps are quoted. Recent ones?
(Try "grep -i timestamp /var/tombstones/ts99")
If so, this file would have to be decoded...

Also, when Accessing GSP from Console (CTRL-B), select "SL", then "e" for Error, and "no filter" option...
Those logs are pretty interesting too... That are the ones you see on boot up (slightly more detailed). Also, those logs are available even when the OS is down...

I think, that are the starting points here...

Regards

Tobias

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi william,

post the error logs from the gsp as per previous post for us to look at. The system doesnt need booting into Hpux to get these.
Also from pdc try and get the PDT info from the service menu
ma > ser > pdt

if you cannot get that as its booted issue this command and post back

#echo "selclass qualifier memory;info;wait;infolg" ├В┬ж cstm > /tmp/memorylog.txt

post this file to help identify the problem along with the ts99 file

Andy

Binukuttan MM
Occasional Advisor

What is the Event logs of GSP ???Whether the server is booting or any disk is crashed.If server is working fine - check memory / file system status / fan failure / redunant smps sts --- all are ok ????

Good Luck
william_161
Advisor

OK Guys

Panic is over for a while. I got ride of the fault light by looking at all the error log, Guess that its been built up during the months of usage as a test rig. And i've also changed the terminal to another one and that got rid of all the rubbish that was on the screen.

Still concern with an error log that keeps appear when booting up with

Alert Level: 6
Source: 3 = PDH
Source detail: 0 = unknown, no source stated
Problem detail: 0 = No Problem detail

Caller activity: 1 = test ststues: 0
caller subactivity: 71 = implementation dependent

William
Tobias Hartlieb
Trusted Contributor

Hi William,

maybe you could post here the entire hex code which belongs to the chassis code you quoted... (there are two lines at the end starting with 0x... the first is the interesting one the second one is the timestamp only...)

Anyway, currently I see two possibilities:
1) Wrong dip switch settings on the systemboard
2) PDC bug

to 1) The DIP Switch setting depends on the Processor Speed (360/440/550 MHz) AND the Systemboard type: A5191-6x0??, x: dont' care, ?? is the interesting part...)
Theres a label or printing somehwere on the board... like the DIP Switches (S1 or SW1: somewhere in the left rear corner of the system board) ...

to 2) Install the latest PDC Patch (requires reboot). The Patch Number is PHSS_32705 od PHSS_32704, depedning on the HP-UX Version.
This Patch can be received here from the ITRC...

Regards.

Tobias

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi william,

you have posted part of the error, but not the complete error from the logs. each error has about 5-6 entries in the gsp logs. we could really do with you posting these.

it is likely a PDC firmware error, possibly with a card installed that may work but isnt supported by the PDC.
What version of firmware do you have installed? both pdc and gsp.
you can check with
#pdcinfo
or through STM

and for gsp version login to gsp and type HE, this will list the version at the top

Andy
william_161
Advisor

Hi Tobias

You are right about the DIP Switch setting. I have 1 550MHz CPU in this server but the system board only support upto 360MHz. There is no label on the system board about the DIP swtich settings at all and the system board PN:A5191-60016 and CPU PN: A6146-04001 .. What would be the best setting on the DIP switch with this CPU on this Board ?

And for those who wants the full error code

Alert Level: 6
Source: 3 = PDH
Source detail: 0 = unknown, no source stated
Problem detail: 0 = No Problem detail

Caller activity: 1 = test ststues: 0
caller subactivity: 71 = implementation dependent

0x0000006030001710 00000000 000000EA - Type 0 - Data field unused

0x5800086030001710 00006A00 15B150C - Type 11 - Timestamp 01/19/2006 9:30:23

Cheers

William
Tobias Hartlieb
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hello William,

your system board does support 550 MHZ, indeed! (It's a Type B Systemboard.) And your CPU is a 550 MHz CPU.
The proper DIP Switches for S1 switch is therefore

DIP Switches:
1 OFF
2 OFF
3 ON
4 OFF
5 ON

Regards

Tobias

P.S.: It's alsways a good idea to have the latest, greatest PDC version installed, anyway!
william_161
Advisor

Hi Tobias

Thanks for your help, That settings for the DIP switch did the trick and i dont get any more errors

Cheers

willaim