108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L1000 memory upgrade.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mauricio Garcia

L1000 memory upgrade.

Hi:

I have an L1000 with 1GB in RAM and I want to add 2GB more.
The board has three groups of slots, 2 groups with 4 slots each and 1 group with 8 slots.
There are 4 DIMMs of 256MB each connected to slots labeled as 0A, 1A, 0B and 1B. I want to install two DIMMs of 1GB each. My question is how they should be connected, to slots 2A and 2B or I have to change the connection of the others?

Thanks
Mauricio
There is always something new to learn.
5 REPLIES 5
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

This link will be extremely helpful:

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/A5191-96018/A5191-96018_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/A5191-96018/00/00/15-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/A5191-96018/00/00/15-toc.html&searchterms=configuration%7crules%7cmemory&queryid=20031024-091829

RULE # 1: You need to use ESD protection!!!

Make sure the power cords are completely disconnected.

You should remove the DIMMs in slots 0a & 0b.

Put your 1GB DIMMs in slots 0a & 0b

Put the 256MB DIMMs you removed into slots 2a & 2b.

Start the system back up.

HTH!
-Josh
What are the chances...
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

Addendum to the above entry;

Make sure your Firmware is up to date. The original firmware did not support 1Gb modules.

I believe as late as 39.40 would not support the largest DIMMS. I believe the current release is 41.39. If you get it installed, and it won't boot, try upgrading it from tape.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Mauricio Garcia

Angus: Where should I check the firmware version, and where I can download the updated firmare?
Thanks very much for the info.
There is always something new to learn.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

You have to reboot to check the FW version. I beleive it is displayed when you come to the BCH.
What are the chances...
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Mauricio,

You can use the STM (Support Tools Manager) suite of commands to determine PDC version without having to reboot.
For example run the GUI - xstm - and select any CPU then do Tools -> Information -> Run
The output will list the PDC version.
Can also use the CLUI version cstm.

There are also contributed & 3rd party SW that will tell you PDC ver. They include Sysinfo, nickel & cfg2html. Do a google search for download URLs.

Most current PDC for L1000 is 41.39 & is available here:

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PF_CRHW4139&context=firmware:cpu

HTH,
Jeff

PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!