1753846 Members
7573 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L1000 server clock running too fast

Andrikopoulos Andreas
Occasional Contributor

L1000 server clock running too fast

i own an L1000 server with HP-UX 11.11 and with CPU 440MHz and 2 hard disks 1x9.1Gb and 1x18.2Gb. My problem is that the server clock is running too fast. For example in a day period time the time goes forward 2hours more or less. Any idea how to fix this problem?
6 REPLIES 6
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Andreas,

Check your PDC Firmware.

# grep PDC /var/tombstones/ts99

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/patchDocDisplay.do?patchId=PHSS_32705

- The HP-UX clock gains approximately 15 minutes/hour.

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You simply need to run an NTP server that syncs to authoritative outside sources.
If you're unable to do that then I'd suggest you have HP check the status of the battery on the GSP board as well as the board itself.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Check your firmware:

echo "selclass qualifier cpu;info;wait;il"|cstm|grep "PDC Firmware"

If the version is lower than 40.26 please upgrade to 44.28.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I would sugest going with _both_ the floor wax of running NTP _and_ the dessert topping of making sure the firmware is up-to-date.

I'm not sure if NTP would keep a clock that far off in sync, but even with good firmware, getting time from _two_ or more time servers is a Good Thing (tm).
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Andrikopoulos Andreas
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I am currently using an NTP server to align the clock. Currently i am using the scxntp procedure to manually align the time. I will check my firmware today and i will report back on what i find. Thank you.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Be sure to upgrade your firmware. HOWEVER, is your time drift occuring all day? That is, is it off by several minutes in the first hour? Or is it EXACTLY 2 hours off when you check it? If you are seeing an exact difference, it is very likely due to the current environment value for TZ. Time is kept in GMT or Zulu time inside HP-UX and simply changing the TZ value will display the time in another timezone. So when you check the time, also check the timezone abbreviation to make sure it is correct for your local timezone.

If the time ie changing and NTP is running, check syslog:

grep ntp /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

There should be error messages about sync problems. Also check your NTP servers with the command:

/usr/sbin/ntpq -p

This will list all the NTP servers and the quality of their time sources. Also check the reboot NTP server in the /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons to make sure it works:

/usr/sbin/ntpq -p reboot.ntpserver.com

Bill Hassell, sysadmin