1752802 Members
5209 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L2000 boot failure

Rolandas Juodzbalis

L2000 boot failure

Hi,

I have L2000 machine with 2 CPU's. I tried to install Debian GNU/Linux on it(etch). Installation failed after disk repartitioning. I rebooted server and saw that boot stuff corectly, but system did not booted as disk has no OS on it. After another RS to get boot from CD, I cannot get past early system test:
PDH test 3158

***** EARLY BOOT VFP : SYSTEM ALERT *****
SYSTEM NAME: uninitialized
DATE: 01/01/1970 TIME: 23:02:11
ALERT LEVEL: 15 = Fatal hardware or configuration problem prevents operation

REASON FOR ALERT
SOURCE: 3 = PDH
SOURCE DETAIL: 2 = ROM SOURCE ID: 0
PROBLEM DETAIL: 0 = no problem detail

LEDs: RUN ATTENTION FAULT REMOTE POWER
FLASH FLASH OFF ON ON
LED State: Running non-OS code. Non-critical error detected.
Check Chassis and Console Logs for error messages.

0x000030F032001560 00000000 00000002 - type 0 = Data Field Unused
0x580038F032001560 00004600 0117020B - type 11 = Timestamp 01/01/1970 23:02:11

How to get in to boot admin console?
6 REPLIES 6
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
The early boot vfp can be acknowledged and may be possible to continue generally. did you try to acknowledge? check GSP logs (sl), for more details. Is the Debian Linux supported on PA-RISC? If your system cannot reach boot admin (PDC) There may be hardware fault(coincedence), call HP support.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is suppose you checked this website

http://www.parisc-linux.org/

Rolandas Juodzbalis

Yes, I readed http://www.parisc-linux.org/index.html. I hope that everything but who knows. Maybe you can point where to read more deeply?

For more info. This machine was ok before installing linux. It failed after I did rebooted with not finished installation. It does not boot to anything. I think it does not finish so called PDC (Processor Dependent Code) thing. One interesting detail: one cpu was showed ok, second one as not configured(not used). After couple of reboots, CPU0 showed as installed but NOT CONFIGURED in SL logs. After another reboot everything went back. Somehow I feel that I need to reset something or stuff like that. But not sure where to look at. Does L2000 needs something on disk to get to BOOT ADMIN?
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
The PDC (so called boot admin) is purely from firmware codes. Without any disk you should reach there. If not then there could be a hardware problem. As per your last post, could be CPU problem too. You may install a known good processor at cpu-0 slot and remove all other processors. (remember to disconnect the power & use autistatic mat/wrap). I don't think Linux installation caused anything, may be a coincedence.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Rolandas Juodzbalis

I tried to replace cpu's from working L2000. Not helped. I tried to remove batery (remembering PC machines). Not helped too. Where I could locate more documentation about those errors and their descriptions?

Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As far as the compatibility is concerned , this server is seems to be supported by Debian GNU/Linux
for respective kernel versions.

Take a look at this and ensure it matches with your version of Debian GNU/Linux kernel.
http://www.pateam.org/list.html
http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/

The error show that there is a problem with PDH ROM which may have been caused on account of the previous configuration problem.
As per the system firmware , there would be test sequences running on the system critical components during POST.
The system is stopping at the PDH test 3158 , but it is not succeeding because of the PDH ROM problem.

I am wondering about the CPU stuff. Did you see any other events/alerts from SL logs other than the one you posted here? There has to be more entries in the SL for events/alerts happening before and after this alert.
What is current status of the CPUs?

I would suggest to shutdown the server i,e complete power-off ( remove all power cable ) and start it.
Check if you get to BCH.

If not , shut it down again completly and remove the disk on which you tried to install linux.
Check again if you could get further.