108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L2000, proc speed

SOLVED
Go to solution
daniel smith_3
Frequent Advisor

L2000, proc speed

I have an L2000 with two proc's. One of which the label indicates as being a 440Mhz and the other as a 360Mhz. The dip switches are set to run at 440Mhz. Both of the procs show up as being 440's. Is there a way to find out for sure if this 360 is really a 360. This system is running 11i june 2002 in a test environment, so I can kill and rebuild no problem.
thanks
dan
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Dan,

IF you truly paired a 360 with a 440 the system would force both to 360 as a safeguard to the slower processor.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

I forgot to give you the command to determine current clock speed - all CPUs must run the same speed:

echo itick_per_tick/D | adb /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem

This will give you the definitive answer.

HTH,
Jeff
daniel smith_3
Frequent Advisor

the command you gave shows me the current speed that the dip switches are set to. I have the proc in question in the L2000 by itself(with terminator). When I have the dip switches set for a 360 proc the command echo itick_per_tick... shows it running as a 360, and when I put the switches to run at 440 the system shows the proc as running at 440. Is there a command that shows what the true speed of the proc. is?
thanks for all your help!!!
Dan
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Well, I really don't think the 360 proc will allow you to run it at 440. So I have to believe that the proc IS a 440 proc. You can run procs at *slower* speeds for sure. Mislabelled? Maybe - I don't know for sure. But I'm fairly certain that you can't overclock a PA-RISC proc like you can an Intel proc. For a test, you could try to set the switches for 550 - if the CPU carrier supports that speed. AFAIK, the system won't boot in that scenario. But remember, you do so at your own risk...your mileage may vary...limited time offer..allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery...yada..yada..yada

Rgds,
Jeff
Saurav_1
Valued Contributor

Hi,

to clear ur doubt its better to boot system. in the different configs. as you are doing. Every time U boot go to /var/tombstones and open the latest TS file. in last it will show what is the speed of processor. and how many processors system is using. this will clear ur doubts.

Thanks

Gaurav