108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

L3000 server media issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
kevin poole_1
Frequent Advisor

L3000 server media issue

I am trying to add a DVD drive to an existing L3000 server and I am having a problem with the install. There is no power for the unit. The backplane that contains the drives ends and there is a hole where the drive would go, but there is no power connection port. Just a connection for the media cable from the drive to the pcu board. Is there an additional backplane that goes in there, or is there a special connection that I am missing? Thank you for the help.
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: L3000 server media issue

Check out the parts listing for L3000 server on http://partsurfer.hp.com.

Apparently you would need part number A5191-63002: "Drive power cable - 4-pin (F) connector to 4-pin (F) connector - 8.5cm (3.3in) long - From DVD-ROM/DDS drive to drive/media backplane".

Here is a direct link to a picture of it:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=A5191-63002

This short cable should be enough to reach the DVD/DDS power connector on the backside of the disk backplane.

Unfortunately I could not find a picture of the disk backplane, so I cannot point out exactly where the power connector should be.
MK
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

if I remember right, the power connector is on the back of the disk blackplane. You need to remove the right side cover and the 4 fans to get access to it.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

kevin,

the power connector and the scsi cable is located at the back of the backplane, at the very top. there is only one backplane for the l class.

also you may need the special bracket/tray to hold the dvd drive in other wise it will be loose.

The scsi cable you get with the drive kit A5557A is actually a very small one as there isnt much room to fit a standard length one in there, it would catch the fans.

remove the side panel and the top left fan should give you enough clearance to see and attach the cables

Andy
kevin poole_1
Frequent Advisor

Solution found.