8847 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MAC number

Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

MAC number

This might be a general question.......
I just powerup an rp3440 server for the first time. (We use DHCP.) Reading the documentation I am go get the MAC number from the back of the server. I spent way too much time looking for a MAC number on the back, sides, top and bottom of the server and couldnt find it. I even looked at the system hardware sheet that came with the server and didnt see a MAC number listed there. There is a LAN hardware ID but it is 14 char long and the setup doc. says that it is only 12 char long.

THanks for the help
5 REPLIES 5
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

This may be of little help to you,
but from the OS you would usually issue either the command
lanscan
or
lanadmin -a n
where "n" is the so called physical point of attachment (i.e. 3 for lan3, 6 for lan6 etc.).
Since I'm replying from home where I haven't got an HP server at my disposal I cannot even tell if these commands are available in /sbin so that you could boot to maintenance mode and issue them.
There may also be HW inventory scan commands in the PDC, but I don't know them by heart.
Madness, thy name is system administration
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Well a MAC address is 14 characters if you include the leading 0x to indicate it is in hex.
Does the LAN hardware ID have a leading 0x?
If so, strip that off an dyou have a 12 character hexadecimal MAC address
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
AwadheshPandey
Honored Contributor

Hello Goldsmith,

go to command menu of MP.
MP:CM> LC -nc
this will display ur mac address like this.
MP:CM> LC -nc
Current LAN Configuration:
MAC Address : 0x0060b0f54c51
DHCP Status : Enabled
IP Address : 127.1.1.1
MP Host Name : maestro
Subnet Mask : 255.255.248.0
Gateway Address : 127.1.1.1
Link State : Auto Negotiate
u can see the MAC Address here,
where 0x is for hex it means ur mac address is 0060b0f54c51.
issue help command there for any help about MP>

Cheers,
Awadhesh
It's kind of fun to do the impossible
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Jeffrey,

There is a label to pull out right next to the internal diskbay. Here you find the mac adress of the MP
Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

Thanks Luk, I was able to find the MAC on that tab. There was a MAC on the inventory sheet but it was different than the one on the server. Now that I have the MAC I was able to connect to the iLO and get it configured so I could get to my server.

Thanks for the help.