7891 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MP console not working

Mohanasundaram_2
Occasional Advisor

MP console not working

Hai guys
Here we r using 9000/800/rp7410.I can not able to get my MP console through serial console port. MP login prompt is not comming.my LAN console also not functioning when i try to ping my lan console it gives "Request Timed out".Two days before it was fine.How can i check my console status.There is no fault indication in my front LED panel,"MPpresent" LED also glowing.How to recover my console without restarting the server.My terminal is fine it is working with another same server.

reg
Mohan
11 REPLIES 11
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Re: MP console not working

Mohan,

Get a laptop with windows paltform and connect the server directly to the laptop via a parallel cable, then configure the Hyper Terminal in the laptop to connect using the parallel cable. If the login prompt comes up, then it's not the cable at least. Another way:

1. Turn off the power to the console, hold the "d" key down and while holding it down power it back on. Release the d key after about 10-12 seconds, and the terminal should then display something like "Default Configs Used" in the lower left hand side. Hit the Return key, and that should fix the issue.

2. If whatever you type just echos on the screen, then perhaps the Remote Mode is turned off. Pressing F4 should turn it back on and you should see the asterisk.

Good luck
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Mohanasundaram_2
Occasional Advisor

Hello XMAN
I did what u said.But it is not giving proper output.I found one switch mpreset in MP/SCSI board.what will happen if i reset.at cast my server should not get reboot.
Mohan
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Mohan,

I haven't tried that but I we did was to turn the console off.
unplg the cable from both ends.
plug the cable back in and turn on the Console. It worked!
I'm not sure if you reset what will happen.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Mohan,

Couple of things:

1) rp7410 can have 2 MP cards. Make sure you're plugged into the console for the proper MP if you have 2 MP cards.

2) On the MP card - just below the SCSI connector - is an MP Reset button. Press that - you'll need a small screwdriver or ball point pen & try this again.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I didn't see your 2nd post.
NO, only the MP will be reset. The system wil NOT reboot.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Mohanasundaram_2
Occasional Advisor

Hai JEFF
In my setup only one MP card is there.
IN that card LED indication MP/Power,Lan,activity,self test indications are fine.For MP console any timeout value is there.How can i check the MP related things in OS level.I mean any device file there according to MP console.
pls conform if i reset the mpreset button my server should not be reboot,If server get's reboot i will be in big trouble..
thanks and reg
Mohan

Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Mohan,
If you have access to the knowledge base, you'll find helpful guidelines to give a concept of what's going on!
Here is one document:
http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/cache/200000065004697.pdf

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/cache/200000065004706.pdf
Mohanasundaram_2
Occasional Advisor

Hai
I reset my MPreset.But no improvement..
I found that PCI Power supply is in off condition.How can I switch on PCI Power supply without restarting my server.My MP console also still not working.I don't know Because of this PCI powersupply MP console is not functioning..?how to come out from this?
reg Mohan
Mohanasundaram_2
Occasional Advisor

Hai
I reset my MPreset.But no improvement..
I found that one of the PCI Power supply is in off condition.How can I switch on PCI Power supply without restarting my server.My MP console also still not working.I don't know Because of this PCI powersupply MP console is not functioning..?how to come out from this?
reg Mohan