HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753522 Members
6729 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Machine started with scsi errors, ended with HPMC errors...

Timothy Keller_1

Machine started with scsi errors, ended with HPMC errors...

I've got a 5 year old K460 that after upgrading to hpux 11.11 crashes with HPMC errors right after the kernel gets loaded.

Here's the story line...
1. Machine running hpux 10.20
2. Added two scsi cards to HP-PB slots.
3. Connected four jamaica cabinets full of 18.2GB disks to machine. One Jamaica to each of the new SCSI cards and one to each of the scsi cards on the core I/O adapters.
4. added drivers for HP-PB cards (both HP 28696A), rebuilt kernel, able to see both cards.
5. Getting scsi bus errors on two of the four arrays, one on one of the Core I/O boards and the other on the HP-PB cards. When running a "ioscan -fn -H [offending path]" I'd get "-1 UNKNOWN" under device listings.
I tried new disks, cables and cards to no avail.
6. Upgraded machine to hpux 11.11 hoping that it would be more robust handling of scsi errors. I got the same results as before.

At this point, I wasn't really sure where to go. I'd tried different disks, different cables and different cards. The only thing I hadn't done was try different arrays. Since I had two working arrays I knew the cards/cables were good so I switched a good array with a bad array. I tried running an ioscan and lo and behold ioscan just sat there forever (we'll, I walked off and came back 15 mins. later and it was still going I brought the machine down and reconnected the good arrays and brought the machine up only to have it crash right after the kernel gets loaded into memory. I shut down the machine, disconnected all the external arrays, and got the same results. I then brought down the machine and removed the HP-PB cards and got the same results.

Anybody got any ideas? And yes, I did use a static strap and was properly grounded whild doing all of this...

Thanks,
Tim.
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

BTW, when you disconnect disks from core I/O you have to terminate it with correct type of terminator - FWD (not SE or LVD).
Attach /var/adm/tombstones/ts99 file. If you're not able to boot machine into multiuser mode then boot it into single user mode (hpux -is), mount everytning (mount -a) and then you'll be able to access /var
Eugeny

Hi there,

Did you resolve this over the weekend?

You said " 4. added drivers for HP-PB cards (both HP 28696A), rebuilt kernel, able to see both cards."

To me "UNKNOWN" suggests that the drivers are still not known to the kernel. I hope you remembered to add them again on HP-UX 11.11

Please;
1. check the /stand/system file.
2. Try reseating the HP-PB cards.
3. check the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for errors.

If this does not help, try issolating the problem by connecting one Jamaica at a time starting with the ones on the core I/O.

Please ensure that there is proper termination all the time.

Good luck,

Ish
If you keyboard is locked, call a locksmith, not HP!
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Strip everything and then load the O/S.

Those jammaica cabinets have toggle switches in the back of each disk and should all be unique target address. Verify this.

SCSI Bus target address priority begins with 7 (* controller *) then 6,5,4,3,2,1.

sea ipl
you can see the boot disks?
ISL> hpux -is
If OK then ioscan and then init 1,2,3

Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law