108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Memory Interchangeable

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ragni Singh
Super Advisor

Memory Interchangeable

Can anyone tell me if memory from a L server is interchangeable to a N server. In other words, can you swap memory from a L class and put it in a N class. Any help is greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Memory Interchangeable

I am fairly certain the memory is interchangable. The memory looks the same... I have swapped a-class memory and L-class memory, and the n-class memory looks the same.

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

A 1GB SIMM for an L class is A5798A. The same 1GB SIMM for an N class is A4923A. This leads me to believe they're different.

Pete

Pete
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Why don't you call a 3rd party memory vendor like Strategic Memory Solutions and ask them? They'd be happy to answer the question for you.
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi Sanjay,

Sorry to tell you this, but the memory is not interchangeable.

Like John mentioned, the A-class and L-class (RP-54xx) memory is swappable but the same is not true for A & L with N-class (RP-74xx)

-Ramesh
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

Yes it is swappable. It is even supported (according to the local guys). Historically, they have changed the part numbers between classes of servers with the same core technologies as part of their tier pricing. Most everybody I have ever talked to has at least had to steal from an L to meet the need on an N. We have switched both ways. Generally we steal the smaller stuff from the L's to put in the N's and populate the L's with 1Gb DIMMS.

Before anyone gets indignant about it, that is generally the way frontline Hardware manufacturers work. They figure you are shelling out money for a bigger server, so they can get you a little on the back-end over the life of the products.

The third party companies don't do this, they generally just make one part number and list it for all the same class of servers. In addition, if you are willing to do the installations yourself, you can save up to 2/3's on the cost of your memory going to Kingston/Dataram/Viking/etc to get server memory.

I hope this helps....
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
W.C. Epperson
Trusted Contributor

These questions are REALLY tough to get definitive answers to. There's apparently a "model number" underlying the "product number". The same "model number" may have multiple "product numbers", and HP does not give the same compatibility information to all parties. I once spent months getting a third-party-brokered A-class under support because it had been configured with memory for a J-class workstation. According to the HP SPI system consulted by the broker, the memory was compatible and supportable. According to the data available to Support Sales, it was not. Same model number, but two different product numbers.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it." --Poe
barrett cooper
Occasional Advisor

No it is not technically interchangeable. Different part numbers and therefore unsupported by HP as would be any third party memory in a system you expect warrany or contract service on. Also on the internal HP parts pages list the exchange and service ordereable part numbers as different between nclass and lclass servers. Working or not, they are all SyncDRAM modules after all, it is not supported.

Straight from the HP site.
lclass
| A5554A | 256MB High density SyncDRAM module (uses 2 slots) |
| A5797A | 512MB High density SyncDRAM module (uses 2 slots) |
| A5798A | 1024MB High density SyncDRAM module (uses 2 slots) |
| A6115A | 2048MB High density SyncDRAM module (uses 2 slots)

nclass
| A3763A | 512 MB high density SyncDRAM memory module (2 DIMM slots) |
| A4923A | 1024 MB high density SyncDRAM memory module (2 DIMM slots) |
| A5864AX | 2048 MB high density SyncDRAM memory module (2 DIMM slots)