108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Memory in K220's and K420's

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Leis
Advisor

Memory in K220's and K420's

I have two K220's and two K420's. Eventually we are going to decomission the 220's, but would like to take the memory from them and put it into the K420's. Does anyone know if the memory is compatible between them. Unfortunately the K220s are running production so I cannot tear them apart to see what configuration they have. I know each 220 has 1GB and each 420 has 256MB. Wouldn't be too choked up about ditching the 256MB's out of the 420's. Any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Memory in K220's and K420's

Hi:

In a word, yes. The memory can be used in wither box.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi again:

I might add you can check http://www.kingston.com and they list both the original HP part no.'s for the various boxes as well as the Kingston part.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Michael Leis
Advisor

Thanks. The manual lead me to believe that would be possible, but it didn't actually say that.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Memory pairs, take two slots, and the memory is compatible between the two, so you shouldn't have any issues. I think there are 16 slots (8 pairs).

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Mike Williams_7

If online diags are installed you can run mstm and run the information tool under memory. This will tell you what size simms you have in which slots. If I recall correctly on a K220, 1G would more than likely have 2 mem carries full up. The memory carriers can just be swapped between the two if that is the case or you try and intragrate the K420 memory to try and get the most out your configuration.

Former CE