108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Modem problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Modem problems

Actually, I think it's a third-party application problem, but I haven't dealt with modems in so long that I'm a bit fuzzy on my reasoning.

We are on the process of replacing a D-class runnign 10.20 system with an rp2430 running 11.00. The D-class has this third party software that is used to dial into our customers' systems and transfer files back and forth for support purposes. On the D-class the modem is connected to a MUX strip. On the rp2430, it's connected to the GSP's remote port. When we try dialing out with the third-party software, we get "can't open the communication port." I'm able to dial out with kermit, however, and the system answers the modem just fine.

The software was copied from the D to the rp2430 so my only guesses are:

1.) there's a setting somewhere in it that isn't jiving with the GSP port as opposed to the old MUX strip

or

2.) the third party software, aside from the configurable settings, is trying to handle the port in a way that is not compatible with the GSP port or the newer OS revision

Of course, the third party software is ancient and unsupported. Not even sure if the vendor still exists actually. I know this is one of those vague "black box" questions that I probably can't hope for an answer to, but, if there's any insights you can provide concerning my suspicions of the cause of the problem, it would be appreciated.
--
Jeff Traigle
3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Modem problems

I would strongly suspect the ancient software. Datacomm can be handled in a number of different ways and without the source code, there isn't much you can do the fix the problem. The GSP is highly specialized and many changes were made between 10.20 and 11.00. You could try a separate MUX card for the rp2430 which will be similar to the D-class. No guarentees, such is the fate of old software and transient vendors/codewriters.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Rather what I suspected too. Between a major hardware change and the major OS change they're trying to make here, it would be very lucky to have the software still work without upgrade. The vendor actually does still exist and sells an upgrade to the product for appoximately $400 a pop. That will get expensive in a hurry... and if MUX is still required, I hate to even think how much that could run. Maybe they'll actually do a better thing like host an FTP server in the data center so support can transfer the files via much faster network connections instead of modems. (I'm a dreamer, but sometimes dreams come true.) Of course, one thing at a time... management just can't comprehend why it won't work as is because they have the software running on rp2430s with 11.00 in the field now... what they don't understand is that all connections are made from the D-class they're attempting to replace and it's just a communication process that's started on the other end. Thanks for the input.
--
Jeff Traigle
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

And in today's environment (with security concerns), sftp is the preferred transfer mechanism. You can download Secure Shell (ssh, scp and sftp) from software.hp.com for your rp2430. When management questions hardware/software compatibility, ask them why you can't get an adapter for a 4bbl carb to go onto a 2004 SUV. Of course, I would ask the vendor for confirmation that their new version actually works (moneyback guarentee) with the rp2430 and HP-UX 11.11 and whether a MUX interface is required.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin